Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever coated their fingers with superglue before playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kaboom, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Kaboom

Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    Ok so i'm a really stupid kid and i was fixing sth with superglue, and i accidentally got a droplet of the stuff on my right hand's index finger. I had my bass besides me and after i was finished i picked it up to pluck a few notes (having forgotten about the glue on my finger) and i found the feel REALLY cool. I then coated the rest of my fingertips with superglue (well not ALL fingers, just the four from the left hand and the two from the right) and i thought it felt REAL nice playing like that. You still get plenty of feel from the strings, but your fingers dont get chewed up and ur fingers seem to slide effortlessly up and down the strings. This is obviously not sth to do every day, but i was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or sth similar?
    Cheers!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

No i wouldent do something like that but i heard Flea did that when he would develop holes into his fingers from playing so hard.

3. I'd make sure you have some acetone or nail polish remover within arm reach, just in case you accidentally glue your fingers to something in the process.

Go to the bathroom BEFORE you attempt this also.

Randy

4. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I have used it on my fingers during those 5 hr gigs when I got blisters...did the job

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I rub my fingers on the oily sides of my nose.

6. Last Saturday I cut my left thumb before a gig, fixed it with super glue and it worked nicely; just wait until it's all dried up
    :)

7. But if your fingers gets chewed up in the first place:
    Practise more! :D

I Need a six... likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When Stevie Ray Vaughan's fingers would get all chewed up and sore, he would put Super Glue on his fingertips, then stick his fingers to his forearm, let the glue dry, then rip his fingers off his forearm, taking healthy chunks of skin off his forearm to cover the sore spots on his fingers. When I heard that, all I could say was, "Holy geez!"

9. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    DIY skin graft. Ouch!

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Isn't superglue slightly toxic?

Also, on the topic of SRV, that's an interesting trick. Wouldn't work for me though, unless I wanted to play with furry fingertips.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've had superglue on my fingers when playin bass before - it was leftover from thrashin up my fingers on the tape in pole vault.

It feels weird but it works.

12. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    accidentally yes.

the bottle i was using broke and it got everywhere.... then i went to play my bass... it was ... well different. goods and bads about it i guess.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe, but sometimes doctors use it to close wounds, so probably not going to kill you.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've done it before. Not because I have holes in my fingers, just to check it out after a couple guys mentioned it to me.

-Mike

15. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I prefer to use band aids. But you don't get the feel.

16. Yes, I've done it after my blisters burst. The urban myth is that superglue was originally developed by the army to patch up wounded soldiers in the field. This is why it sticks to skin better than anything else.

However, it may be beneficial for wounded bass players, but it makes holding a pen more difficult (no grip), and your girl might think you're trying to rub her down with sandpaper when it starts to flake off.

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've used super glue on my fingers when i got a deep blister on my finger and then idiotically popped it. Left a crater in my middle finger. That doesn't work well for me-i play DB about as much as i play BG, so i need my fingers to be at least playable. So-i used a combination of the Band Aid New Skin stuff and superglue. The New Skin to build it up and the superglue to be the top coat. Worked pretty well. So now-i try and keep a container of super glue in my tool bag for in case crap happens.

That's all

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, did for the same reason as Flea, however, I work in a lumberyard, so scrapes and bruises happen almost daily, but cuts to the fingers are few and far between. Needless to say I had a gig one night and about two hours before I sliced my fingers open on some galvanized sheething.

Super glue away, and neither the galvanized coating nor the superglue had any adverse effects.

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Superglue is toxic only if ingested. You would need to bathe in the stuff for hours to absorb enough chemicals through your skin to cause harm. However eating even a pretty small amount can make you quite ill so don't do that.

I used to superglue my fingers to a table top and then rip them off again because someone told me it would help my calluses develop...I was like 14 at the time so it seemed like a cool thing to do.

20. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    i dont recomend it because im a firm believer in playing with bare clean fingers, i like my right hand (playing) tips somewhat medium and uncalloused and my left hand tips generally a little harder, if you play enough it works out well

crucislancer likes this.