Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever de-carpet an Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jan 23, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Has anyone ever removed the capret off an avatar? i was just looking at mine and was wondering what it look like, because mine has lots of crap stuck to it. looks like i need to bust out the vacum again.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It would look like a plywood box with glue on it...

Here's a picture of my former Acoustic 360 (that was covered with leopard print vinyl when I got it (you can see a strip under the head's handle)) before I recovered it in black.

I recovered a Hartke 4x10 that I had, but I don't seem to have pictures of it...

Once the carpet is off and the remaining glue removed, you could recover it with tolex (vinyl) or truck bed liner...or whatever.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the vacuum doesn't clean up your cabinet, you can use a clothing lint roller or some reverse rolled masking tape to get pet hair and stuff out of the carpet. Crusty stuff can be removed with a stiff brush and smoke smell with Febreeze (sp?).

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've never removed carpet from an Avatar cab, but one of my wife's cats has...

There's a spot where you can see bare wood and it's just that - regular old, naked plywood. The cab's sitting in a corner at a rehearsal space right now or I'd snap a digi pic for ya.

That cat now lives outside. Bet you can guess why.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lots of gig-goo and kitty-clawing is the reason that I recoved the Hartke 4x10. I bought it used and tried to clean it up before bringing it in the house...between the crusty stuff (including candle wax), kitty's claw marks and the odor, it was just easier to peel the carpet off and recover it.

Quite economically and quickly done with 3M spray adhesive and Parts Express cabinet carpet.

Removing the carpet would be easy...just find a seam and start picking at it. It takes longer to remove the hardware, speaker, etc. than it does to skin the box.

Be carefull removing the speaker(s) so that you don't stab the screwdriver through the cone ruining your day (and damaging your speaker).

6. "Quite economically and quickly done with 3M spray adhesive and Parts Express cabinet carpet."

I bought some of the carpet from Parts Express. It is charcoal gray and not black.