Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever done this before?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever got a set of powerful computer speakers, and got an adaptor jack and plugged their bass into the back?(where the cable from the computer should go). It's a pretty kool little portable amp. :bassist:

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes. But IME they don't go anywhere near loud enough for anything other than solo practice or songwriting and tend to suffer from that 'one-note-bass' syndrome due to the 'sub'woofer having a huge peak around the tuning frequency.

Alex

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I expect that Nick would say this is an advantage, as it saves you having to tune up!! ;)

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its not a great solution, nick. You'd be better off with a cafe walter headphone amp, if you want really great sound, on the go.

5. Well, it's just a practice amp. ANd it also let's peopl hear me, rather than this annoying twangy noise, and I can tune with it aswell. I'd like a headphone amp, but I dunno where u get 'em.

6. I used to do this all the time with a ZOOM 9002 plugged into a small set of Yamaha computer speakers. When I was burning a CD or waiting for something with the computer just pick up the bass and play away. The Yamaha had 2 1/8" inputs in the subwoofer.