1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever downgrade their cab (smaller size) and regret it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 98dvl, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I've been thinking for a while of downgrading my cab (SVT 610HLF) to an SVT410HLF.

I've got an offer on my 610 from a local guy, and I've found a 410HLF for a good price (including shipping) from another retailer. I could make $200 on the swap...

The only thing I'm wavering on is that I MAY someday regret selling the 610HLF in favor of the 410HLF.

We mostly play small bars and the like, so the 610 is way more than I need for most gigs... But, we're thinking of (hoping at least) doing some outdoor gigs this summer at some local festivals.

Is the 410 going to get me through that sort of situation? I was hoping I'd save some weight and size by downgrading, but the difference is only 10" in height, and 5lbs in weight...

Guess my question is this, is the possible loss of volume worth $200?

2. no, you never know when youre gonna say "dang i'm glad i didnt get rid of this thing." for 5 pounds and 10 inches, id leave it be. unless you can find a good quality 8 ohm 2x10 for the $200 to make your rig modular, and want to chance that it wont be the same, you are better off staying put. BTW the retail difference on these cabs new is like $300. MORE BASS!

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I shall never downgrade, and to speak of it is heresy... :bag:

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I (and most other people) wouldn't count on my bass rig to supply the low end to the crowd at an outdoor gig. I (and most other people) use my rig solely for stage mix at outdoor gigs, and depend on the PA's big amps and big subwoofers to deliver the bass guitar sounds to the crowd. I (and most other people) would be satisfied with a 4x10 to supply enough stage mix at outdoor gigs, assuming you have enough power behind it.

But I would still keep the 6x10 if I were you. You might play larger indoor gigs some time. Or maybe you are planning to play an outdoor gig without an adequate PA?

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    As one of those 'most other people', I heartily agree.

Whenever I'm playing an outside gig, I leave the NV610 at home and take the Acme B2.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i down graded my 610HLF to a vintage ampeg 4x10 cab. saved a lot of weight and space in my tiny car and is a lot easier to move.

i haven't regreted it at all, but i also like it because i reloaded the cab with new speakers and it matches my V4 head.

as far as outdoor gigs big +1 to PA support no matter the size of the rig.

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I regretted switching from all Eden 410 and 210 to 2 EA CXL12's.
    The drivers kept blowing!!!!!

8. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I like large cabs. I bring my 810E to every show that it isn't silly looking on. And for those shows I have a 410 that does great. In fact, I would trade my 410 for the 610HLF in a heartbeat. I've owned the 410HLF and it was harder to move than my 810E (keep in mind, I have a truck).

9. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Thanks for all the replies...

For the most part, this problem took care of itself... The 410 I was looking at actually sold this morning...

So, (for now at least), I'm keeping the 610. I went big for a reason, and I guess as a former boy scout, I like to live by the "always be prepared" motto. I love my 610HLF, I just wish it was easier to carry up and down stairs, that's the only thing I don't like about it!

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I downsized a lot recently and I love certain aspects of it. But I still kept all my big stuff. First off, I got my vintage SVT and my 4x10 for such great prices that I'll never get those kinds of deals again. And then sometimes I feel like a big wuss showing up to a hard-hitting rock/funk gig with a Markbass combo.

So the way it's working for me, the more I downsize, the more I appreciate my big stuff. Doesn't make me want to move the SVT for every gig, but it does make me want to use it now and then.

11. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i would just a 210 or a 212 cabinet and call it a day, and when you need the 610 you have it, is it paid for, are you lacking in space? if you can put the 610 away for awahile, and get yourself another cab and wait and see first before you do anything,

its like owning a truck,you never know when you need one,but when you do, you have one,and not looking for one

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Downgrade? I am still thinking of upgrading, somehow.

If you go down to 4x10, you can always add another 4x10.