Anyone ever drill and bolt down their pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bighouse, Dec 3, 2022.

1. I don't like any of the methods I've seen for attaching pedals to a pedalboard. I want to modify my pedals by removing the bottom panel, drilling a hole through the center of them and inserting a bolt through the bottom and aligning it with a hole on the metal pedal panel (holeyboard) and then fender washer/wingnut tightening them on the underside. I'll use a thin nut to keep the shallow bolt head tight to the inside of the pedal enclosure base panel so as to not touch internal components on the device.

Has anyone ever used this approach? It doesn't seem like it should be a problem in any real way, other than potentially voiding any warranty on them by the modification. Might there be in issue in connecting them through the metal bolts to each other via the panel board metal?

I don't see myself adjusting the layout for the few that I have, and if I do a drill will make short order of the process.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    BEADist likes this.
  2. ceetee

ceetee

Apr 1, 2021
    I guess you've checked clearance inside the pedals? Know a boss or two where I doubt there's enough space. Other than that, just here to see the results. Good luck!

superheavyfunk and Killing Floor like this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Your method would make it a bit more difficult to move things around when a new pedal is added.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I use 2” commercial Velcro. Insanely hard to remove a pedal.

5. I've replaced two of the screws that bolt the bottom plate to the pedal with longer screws that allowed me to run them through the board I made. You could try something like that with the holeyboard without damaging the pedal itself.

I do think doing this kind of sucks because it doesn't let you move pedals without a whole pedal-moving-session, but it's not my board so if that gives you peace of mind that's a thing you can try.

6. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Bicycle chain links can serve a similar function with less modifications/effort. I’ve done this in the past but dual lock is virtually perfect for my needs.

7. Yes, that was my initial thought on the matter. But the screws all may need to be of different lengths or sizes depending on the pedal maker.

I don't see how the bicycle chain links could work??? Is there a photograph of this technique?

8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    :laugh:
    A simple Google search containing the terms: "bicycle chain link effect pedal mount" brought up tons of info. Did you try that?

Here's the first search result:

9. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Fuzzbass likes this.
  10. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    It's not that your original idea won't work, it just seems like an overly destructive way to achieve your end goal.

11. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    Take out the screws on the corners & put them back in through a picture hanger clip.
    Now screw that open part of the picture hanger to your board.

RustfeatherBass and SunnBass like this.
  12. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I’m sure the idea would work, I’d just worry about introducing any sort of avenue inside the pedal for moisture to get in or possibly the bolt head touching anything inside that shouldn’t be touched. Would there be a way to cover the bolt head and hole with some kind of gasket or silicone to keep the internals insulated?

I’ve had really good luck with my pedals and Temple pedalboards using the super heavy-duty 3M Velcro from Home Depot, and it lets me make both micro and macro adjustments. However, if you don’t mind the extra work with your method then give it a try…who knows, you may end up discovering the new hotness in how to mount pedals?

SunnBass likes this.
  13. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Minnesota
    The bigger problem to me would be if you ever need to change patch cables, or pedals at a gig. You could try to arrange your pedals in a way that you will be able to remove patch and power cables without removing pedals, but depending on your layout and how tight your board is that's not always practical.

There's not always a lot of time at load in and sound check to mess with stuff like that, nevermind if you discover a bad cable or pedal DURING the gig.

14. BlueRock

BlueRock Inactive Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2022
    YVR
    I
    As I was reading the first post in this thread I happened to glance over at the board I'm populating for tonight. Major cringe seeing my OC-2 Octave. Everyone's different but thinking I was never going to change configurations would be utterly delusional.

HolmeBass, wncBass and SunnBass like this.
  15. Yes, after posting the question on here, I googled it. Messy installation method with potential conflict with neighboring panels. Maybe I can design and 3D print some kind of harness like the PEDALOCK device.

16. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I've used the "bike chain links" method for years with no issues. I don't see how the installation method is messy since you are literally taking the screw off the bottom of the pedal, putting the screw through the hole of the link, and putting the screw back in the same hole. Certainly not as messy as the method you are proposing. As to causing a conflict with neighboring pedal, I don't even know what that means. It isn't like the links are large and there has to be room for the patch cable. Plus you can rotate the link to move out of the way.

17. 220_Hz

220_Hz

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Oliver Ackerman of Death By Audio and A Place To Bury Strangers does this. 4:40ish

eddybuzzard likes this.
  18. Yes, I have, when I was a kid.
    It was one of the more foolish things I've done :woot:

VELCRO is your friend :thumbsup:

But that chain link idea is very clever too ;)

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Why not use Velcro? I’ve been using industrial strength Velcro for years and years. I’ve never had a pedal fall off of my boards. I’ve got probably a hundred pedals and maybe ten different boards.

20. So does that big ol' giant pedal speed dial his Sweetwater Rep too ;)

220_Hz likes this.