Anyone ever feel like packing it in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Oct 19, 2005.

1. These days i have too much to do, and altho im in one actual band (and another thats just me and a guitarist jamming really), i really cant be bothered anymore, i dont have the time to put into practising, so im just going to become an even sloppier player, and, well, i just cant be arsed with it anymore, anyone else ever feel like this ? :crying:
  2. Yup.

Every once in a while when I feel that I'm not making any real forward progress.

But, don't let it get to you. I know - easier said than done. ;)

Bottom line: No one has to give up playing an instument if they feel they're not improving as fast as they think they should, just put it down for a while with no self imposed time limitations.

That's what I do.

Mike ;)
  3. Thats what I did for a year and a half when I first started uni, but not because of time restraints or anything, i just stopped playing, and i havent been able to get back to how it was before, but, i just need to vent, getting sick of everything atm, just need a bit of change i think
  4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Some yoga, perhaps?
  5. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm definitely not into bass like I use to. I use to polish my baby once a week at least, practice for hours a day, come on Talkbass everyday. I don't do it anymore. Hell, if I wasn't in a band I'd probably play bass like once in a blue moon.
  6. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    It happens to about every one. I ended up quiting for 20 plus years.
    Well I'm back playing now and I'm enjoying it. I don't worry about image or whats cool. Play what I want to play how I want to play it, And you know what it's fun again.
    Stepping away for a bit can reignite your love for music.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh yeah. I have not played my bass in nearly six months. I wouldn't start crying, or get too upset about it though. Maybe it's time you move on to something else in your life. I am just about to that point myself.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    From time to time, I get frustrated because I sometimes feel like I have too much going on in my life. I have considered putting my basses down for awhile, but I also can't see myself not playing music, either. And I have commitments to my band(s) as well. But, with work, family, etc. it sometimes gets to be a bit much.

But, if I wasn't playing in a band, I would have a much harder time justifying new gear to the wife. ;)
  9. All the time these days... All the time.
  10. Same here... graduate school is just too demanding for me to be able to play like I used to. It wasn't so long ago that I ever went a day without playing for at least 1-2 hours. Now, if I can practice 15 minutes a day, I'm doing pretty well.... :meh:
  11. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I practice almost everday, for as long as I can, because if I don't I get into a funk where I have no rhythm, can't play anything, and my fingers just don't coordinate.
  12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Last week I played a reunion show with the group I was in for 15 yrs. It had been almost 8 yrs since we played together. So to put it together we did a toatal of 12 rehersals. (8 full, 2 vocal, 2 dress) We acomplished a great feat in my opinion. We rehashed 25 original tunes and 12 remakes of covers. We played for an intimate crowd of about 300 people. During one of the original tunes (one of my past favorites) late in the show, I actually became so overcome, tears actually began to flow. PACK IT IN??? And miss the chance to have another moment in my life like that one??? Not for a minute. All too often we consume ourselves what we are not acheiving and forget to enjoy the ride. After all isn't that what it's all about?
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    At least once a year I feel like packing it in. Then I start making plans to pack it in and I end up getting so much work that I change my mind.
  14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I was thinking about it recently too. Between coaching a kids travel soccer team and gigs/rehearsals,, I'm never home at night. That and my band situation is realy starting to suck lateley. So, I'm back out on the audition trail. I don't want to give it up, but it has gotten to be a bit of a grind lately.
  15. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yep, right now. I can't remember the last time I actually picked up my bass for longer than a few minutes. :meh:

I think all my failed attempts at starting/joining bands has really gotten to me. I'm actually quite bitter about it. I'm selling my rig at the moment (for monetary reasons), and there will probably be a few more sales in the near future.

I'm just taking a break, I guess. I love music too much to quit playing, but I need the time off. I think I'm going to explore new styles and and work on solo projects when I decide it's time to go back.

As others have said, just take it easy. :)
  16. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    How serious is your band about "making it"? If you guys are just doing this for fun, then you may want to reconsider some things and just agree to get together a few times and jam once a month for ****s and giggles. If you are all serious about it then you will have to prioritize things and use your time wisely.

Perhaps there are problems within the band? Recently my bandmates and I have felt that we hit a roadblock so we had to address the issue to our frontman, which has not been putting in the effort. We all felt like we were wasting our time, but instead of giving up and blaming it on not having any time we confronted it. If you really want it you will find that you have enough time - I work 8:30-5 but after that I have the rest of the day for band. Sure, some days I may not want to as much but you gotta push yourself if you really want it.

Also, you gotta concentrate on whats more important - pick one band if you don't have time for both.
  17. We havent had a band practice in about 2 months now (with uni and all), the other one thats just me and a guitarist (possible drummer now) is just a thrash band, so you dont need to practice other than once a week for an hour together, thinking about "making it" would just be kidding ourselves tbh :p
  18. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Packing it in? for good? Nah. Never. My playing comes in peaks and valleys over time depending on how busy I am with work, family obligations, etc. I even stopped playing for about 5-6 years when my kids were born and babies ruled my life. However, I never once thought I’d never play again, always knew I’d pick it back up. As my youngest grows from infant to toddler and becomes more independent, sleeps regularly, etc it’s easier to find the time to play these days.

Obviously your development as a bass player is an ongoing process and it sucks to not be able to persue your goals but you can’t get all hung up when there’s just no time to play. Like John Lennon said “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.” A little playing is better than none at all, just squeeze it in when you can.

I suppose being in a band situation is a bit more restrictive, but if you’re in something that’s not working out or that’s causing you stress then it’s time to get out of that situation. It doesn’t mean you have to pack it in altogether.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    haven't touched my bass in over a month, sure i've picked it up, plucked a few strings and pounded out a few notes, then i put it back down. strange.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Your looking for that Sadowsky to fulfill you :D go get it Tim :hyper: :bassist: