1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Ever Get A MusicYo Tobias?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Well? Do you like it? Hate it?

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    as far as i found about it :
    most people say it's really great but the electronics are crap. u can buy the bass and exchange the pickups.
    i would have done it but the costoms are too much expensive here.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a 'Toby' deluxe 5 string. I agree about the electronics! Virtually no control over the sound. I will be changing the pups and pre-amp when I can afford it. The bass is well built though.

4. Hi there! I shied away from the Toby's because of what I'd heard about them from others, but I did buy a Gibson-era Renegade off e-bay and it's a great instrument - comfortable, good tone, good elex, relatively light (alder). The string spacing is weird, though, and takes some getting used to - the E and G strings are really close the edge of the fretboard, and they seem to be rather far apart at the bridge. I like it, but I don't know how it compares to the Toby's in terms of price. If they are close, you might wish to check out e-bay for one from those Gibson years. Just my opinion...

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I have a Toby 6-string from musicyo -- i replaced the pickups and electronics with all Barts and I love it now...terrific bang for the buck.

-Aram

6. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I have a 5-string that I put Seymour Duncans in. The B-string is OK, but aside from that, it sounds pretty good. Well worth the money.

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Onesidezero -- have you tried Fodera strings on your Toby? I found that made a WORLD of difference on the B-string on mine...

-AC

8. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Really? Hey, that's something to think about. Thanks for the tip man. :)

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Not a problem -- if you try it, let me know how it works out.

-AC

10. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

Will do, thanks.