1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever get a really crappy Lakland Skyline brand new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgurns, Sep 10, 2008.

1. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Well after looking for a long time trying to find a used Skyline Duck Dunn I gave in and just ordered a new one. It arrived today and what started out as eager childlike anticipation quickly turned to dissappointment. The neck has 6 rather large drops of whatever they used to finish the neck with, the fretwires are all discolored and tarnished, the plastic on the pickguard is all marfed up and the binding on the neck is filthy kinda like dark oily residue.

This is my 5th Skyline. I owned 2 44-02 deluxes,a Joe Osborn and a Scheff and all were impeccable. Has anyone had a problem like this before or do you think it left Lakland fine and this crap happened somewhere else? Just curious what, if anything other people have experienced with the Skyline line

Paul

UPDATED TO INCLUDE THE RESOLUTION OF MY ISSUE IF YOU DON'T WANNA READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD HERE IT IS

Allright heres the deal. I went to the Lakland factory today. I met with Dan Lakin as well as a bunch of other employees and every one of them were cool as hell. After showing the bass to Dan he agreed that it was totally unacceptable, apologized and promptly handed to one of the techs personally who then stopped what he was working on and started working on my bass. Every single issue I had was addressed and taken care of. I even got to wait around and got to talk with Dan for a bit. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there but I have to say I was treated like a valued customer from the moment I walked in. I got the feeling that it wasn't even about the money that I spent. He didn't take care of it in order to keep a happy customer and therefore make more money, he did it because it was the right thing to do and he wants a happy bass player as much as a happy customer.

As I looked around the place and saw all the celebrities instruments and high dollar USA series basses it was clear that my Skyline issue could have been shrugged off, after all I'm a non gigging father of 3 who plays for his own enjoyment. No celebrity status. No industry pull. This was made clear to them before I came in with my bass. Nonetheless when I walked in you would have thought I had all the status and pull in the world. In short I was treated like I mattered. Like my single purchase of there least expensive line of basses was as big a concern than some celebrity who needed his bass to gig in Madison Square Garden that night.

Kudos to Dan and everyone at Lakland for not only making the products they do but for making it right when things go wrong. Keep in mind this was all done in less than 24 hours after opening the box. All in all pretty impressive.

To the guy who was told the store had to "argue" with Lakland, I gotta say after meeting Dan I can't even imagine him arguing with anybody about an issue with something he put his name on. The dude was all about making it right and keeping me happy. I have NEVER gotten this kind of response from a company about anything. I guess that's why there are so many "rabid", "Fan Boy" , or whatever other moniker you want to put on em, Lakland supporters here on TB.

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Where'd you get it from? I don't think it would leave the factory in anything other than perfect condition; those guys don't mess around with their QC.

3. I would call them and send it back and ask for another one

4. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I ordered it from Sam Ash. They were the only ones with one in stock when I ordered one. Everyone else was backordered until at least end of October. It was shipped as a box within a box both boxes seemed to be factory sealed but man I couldn't imagine Lakland sending something out like this. To be honest I've never seen fretwire tarnish like this. It said it shipped from Florida I wonder if it got exposed to humidity/saltwater for a while to cause this. The envelope inside the box with the allen wrenches and the checkboxes of all the QC steps is dated 11/30 so it's been almost a year since lakland had it.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    where ever you got it from probably sent you a b-stock by mistake or something...

6. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I did. The problem is now they don't have one either. I am going to call Laklanmd tomorrow since I'm les than an hours drive from there and see if they can take a look at it under warranty

7. If it came from Florida, it might have been exposed to humidity/salt water.

I would imagine that they'd probably replace it with all that going on.

8. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Possibly. Even as B stock they should be ashamed to send something out like this. What bothers me most is what conditions it had to be exposed to to cause fretwire discoloration

9. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Lakland will treat you right. Just call them.

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
  11. I got a brand new 44-01 Skyline from MF, with a terrible case of fret sprout. I emailed Lakland, and shipped it to them in Chicago. They fixed it for free. I was only out shipping to Chicago.

If you like the bass, I say email them and I'm sure they'll make it right.

12. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Biggest problem now is no one has a replacement in stock LOL I waited sooo long to get this and now I have to wait longer. It looks like this is an isolated incident based on what I'm hearing. Not the usual high Lakland standards

13. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I tried. when I called they told me it was sold but never taken off the website. They were actually my first call since I can't seem to order anything from Steve"dude" Barr where I got all my other Laklands from

14. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thatsgood to hear. I live less than an hour away so I don't even have to actually pay to ship it to them. I'll call them first thing in the AM

15. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    When the local Lakland Dealer here had a couple basses with fret sprout they paid the store owner to have a local luthier take care of it. Bet they would have done the same for you and saved the shipping charges.

16. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If its a year out of the Lakland factory, they might have shipped you one that was previously bought and returned to them (with who knows what happening to the bass in between).

I bought an effects processor from an online retailer like this...all scuffed up and with electronics problems when it arrived. Online retailers do that stuff all the time if they think they can get away with it, that's why they want all the packing materials back with a return--so they can restock it.

17. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    pgurns,

Out of curiosity, what's the S/N of that bass? I'd be interested to know just how old it is...

First two digits are year, second two are month...

Thanks

Bob

18. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Ahh, another slow website webmaster....

19. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Yeah, I have to wonder how long this thing must have been sitting around for some of the flaws. i have heard that there are some QC issues with the Skyline stuff, but are usually pretty solid.

20. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    0708 are the first four.