1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever get overwhelmed from sound stimulus?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I find that when I am on the computer, I put on some music, and after a little while, I just have to turn it off. My head starts hurting and I get annoyed at sound going on around me. My cell phone battery is low, and it beeped at me, and it made me angry for a minute. It's odd being a musician, and not being able to handle listening to music. In the car, I am fine, most of the time, but even then I get fed up with hearing stuff. I tend to listen to talk radio a lot because music is generally too much sound for me sometimes (and my CD rotation is a bit small right now). But I can go to concerts, play guitar/bass no problem.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    all my rockin blew your mind.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, and my wicked E chording made your pants jump sideways... :D

4. I have a four year-old daughter. A better question would be: "how often"? :D

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I get the same way. If I'm on a long drive or something I eventually just have to turn my stereo off and either listen to the road noise or even tune that out completely.

6. I kinda can relate to that "overwhelming" feeling of saturation. I can actually feel my blood pressure going up as soon as I hear ANY kind of emergency vehicle.. I've been known to get pretty angry when I'm walking outside and a fire engine comes barreling by shaking me down to my DNA with it's tissue-shredding sirens. Police helicopters illicit a similar reaction as well. Maybe as musicians, our hearing thresholds are just differant than most people.. I dunno.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Only when I'm in a bad mood.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I listen to music 24/7... no tv no movies, just my CD/MP3 collection (350GB or so) and/or radio and/or my playing.

I fall asleep listening... multi CD changer loaded with 5 mixed CDs plays for about an hour and gets turned on as the wife and I go to bed. The clock radio wakes us to music, rince, repeat.

The wife wants a shower CD player too actually.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    James? you at work right now?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yup... with my earbuds in :)

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    YAY, this weekend i join you. :)

Only this weekend though, next time they offer some OT to do this i says NOOOOO!

I just stole my coworkers speakers, so blasting music here... It's just me and some lady on the other end... Not sure what she is doing here working so late...

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    this is my regular shift.... Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon from 9:30pm until 8am.

I was just in your town (virtually). I was making some test calls through our gateway there.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I was just in India and Belgium...

Couldn't understand a word India's lady was saying so i just put her on mute and fixed whatever i could find... She also get mad at fact that her English sucks and whenever i asked "what?" she would repeat it 10x faster and then complain a bit more... Like that gonna help... dumb ho.

Belgium guy was a dick and I am still there working on the box... :D

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    lol...

I was just in a pair of gateways... routed calls from here to here through SJ to specify a specific carrier route.

I have the distinct pleasure of NOT having to deal with end users... I have a horde of call center bodies as a buffer :smug:

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    It's not too bad user wise. I deal with IT and admins 99% of a time. However, there are a lot of pretty damn dumb IT/Admin people. :)

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Sometimes I have to turn it off as well.

17. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I get agressive in loud situations (noise, not sound). A crowded cafeteria or a bunch of screaming pre-teenagers can get me PO'ed very fast.

There's always a ton of noise in my house too. That's the part I hate the most. No peace anywhere.

Maybe I'm intolerant because I have tinnitus since birth, though.

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I get really irritable and borderline itchy when a store, restaurant, or some dumb mall has crappy music playing way too loud. The pools in Vegas are the same way. Lots of friggin' muzak. I swear, my body almost split in half when I was in the nude section of the pool area (I think it was the Venetian, but I might be wrong... I was out of my head) when that crappy Top Gun song came on for the third time. This phenomenon has gotten worse for me as I get older. Perhaps those experimental drug years do have adverse side effects afterall.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Maki, want to stay up all night and keep me entertained? :)

6 more hours of work YAY

20. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Oh is that all? I have 15 and 11 year old step sons that of course know more than what I did at their age AND a 5 and 3 year old daughters. Oh yeah and a very vocal Siberian Husky who cries an yowls the moment we don't include her in on the activities.