1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever get the yips?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by davec, Oct 11, 2013.

1. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I'm feeling a little like Steve Sax....
    I've played most of my life (I've been playing for 30 years)
    Most of the last 10 years it's been doing the Worship thing, admittedly I had become complacent. Run the songs once before rehersal, run it once before service and I could nail it. I switched churches about 9 months ago, and started playing with my new worship team 7 months ago. I put in extra time because I wanted to make sure I was tight.
    For the last month, I can't play, I don't reherse well and I kinda suck. I'm stepping on the groove, I'm throwing out plenty of sour notes, my timing is weak (always the strongest part of my game)
    It is like I'm a second basemen that struggles to throw the ball to first.
    Anyone else ever have a case of the musical yips?
    Any suggestions? (I'm usually and decent player) but I'm starting to not enjoy playing because I am starting to doubt my ability....

I'm putting in the practice time, and can get somewhat tight with that , but once I'm live .... :(

2. Sounds to me like you need to get away from the bass for a while. Take a break from the bass for a few days to a week or two, then see what happens. You could be overanalyzing things while you're playing, and a small break might be just what you need to relax and just play. ;)

3. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been doing the church thing too for about 10 years, and I had my first real "burn out" last fall. Took an entire month off of playing, and practicing maybe 1 or 2 times a week. Came back to the team with a better attitude, refreshed spirit, and better feel. Perhaps that is the issue? Either way, I know the feeling.

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    In Germany, they call it "Ach du meine Güte, nichts geht mehr, aber wirklich gar nichts mehr!"

5. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    That is... Not English!

6. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Why would they speak English in Germany?

7. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    *sarcasm

8. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    *me too :)

9. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Nov 17, 2012
    I've found with myself, that those times I think that I "suck" are actually when I am in a sort-of transitional phase to hitting another playing plateau. You've been putting in the practice time, and perhaps the reason you think you suck now is because you are now fully aware of the flaws in your playing. Your playing is probably as solid as ever.

My advice: Push forward, embrace this feeling and you will come out the other side a better player. Pay attention to what exactly is causing the problems and work on those things.

* I also think that a break can be beneficial as well. Sometimes when I practice really hard for a few weeks, I start to think about theory and techniques ALL the time instead of thinking about music.

10. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    This might seem off base (just...don't), but how are you feeling the new church? Is it possible that some issues or unresolved feelings w/ your new house of worship or team could be causing you grief and inadvertently affecting your playing? I only mention this because you say you nail it when practicing by yourself, but once you're 'live', you go skunk. After 10 years, the only thing that seems to have changed is your environment...might be something to consider.

Acronyms as always,

Rob
    :bassist:

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I do this for a living and can't take time off. I try to learn something new and totally different. Maybe a different kind of music. I play in bars and larger venues as well where the vibe is a bit looser than church. Getting a new axe will make your interest peak too.

12. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    Wunderbar! In Bolivia, I have heard people referring to this as "Oh santo cielo, no se que voy a hacer ahora, todo me sale mal, me olvide de como tocar el bajo!"

I know I am not helping much the OP about the problem, but if it is of any consolation, the issue seems to enjoy diversity and vas deployment through several cultures around the world.

13. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    certainly a change in Chemistry....

I forged a better relationship with the Worship leader and started playing other instruments for fun
    drums, guitar, trumpet

and things are going much bettter

14. Good to hear you got past the problem Dave.