Anyone Ever Gotten a One Bad Rotosound String??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 9, 2003.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Gig tonight, so I wound on a new set of Rotosound RS 66LB's. This is the first "new" set of strings I've had on this beater SX Jbass.

The G string sound horrible! Weird harmonic/overtones...I didn't know what was wrong.

I'd taken off the original set of strings the bass came with and put on a mildly used set of RS 66LB's, so the gauge shouldn't have been a factor.

I worked for about a half an hour on setup to no avail.

Soooooo...I yanked off the new G string and wound on the used G string. It sounded fine.

What in the Sam Hill is going on???

Anyone have a clue? :confused:
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's a "beater" bass, I wouldn't expect top performance out of any strings.

The least of your problems are the strings.
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    But I have no other "problems" with this beater.

The quality, fit and finish, and tone is excellent.

I was just asking if anyone had gotten one bad string in a pack of new Roto's.

Ever happened to anyone? Verrrah strange.:confused:
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    (Many years ago) I got a bad E-string (happened twice), they also had weird overtones. I couldn't afford to experiment any more so I switched brands. Every product can have bad batches and production problems, so the occasional bad string shouldn't surprise you I guess. Just as long as the store accepts a return and gives you a new one (which mine didn't, so I stopped buying there).
  5. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks, Frank.

I've been using Roto's for thirty years and have never gotten a bad 'single'. I guess there's a first time for everything.

I do remember when all Roto's hit the skids for several years. Can't remember what the problem was but it snuffed'em out for a while. Some dealers even quit carrying them.

I've been back with them now for five or six years.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I used to set Rotosound swing66 on my bass because I loved the sound.
    It happened several times to me.
    The string just wouldn't work. Flat sound out from the pack.
    Considering that a set of strings costs 30 $ in France, I switched to Ernie Ball Slinky several years ago. I like the sound too and never got a bad string.
  7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i got one bad Rotosound string BOTH times i tried them out. they just didnt work at all. never had any problems with any other string company.
  8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It happens from time to time. I've had duff single
    strings from almost every maker. Contact Rotosound
    directly through their website and they'll replace the string free of charge.
  9. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks, Slug.

I'll do just that.
  10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a bad D string recently in a set of Roto's. No weird overtones, but just a dull thud when plucked. The dealer replaced it for me, and the replacement sounded fine.

I also had a new experience Friday. I put a set of Carvin nickels on my Carvin LB75, and the B just let go. I guess the core broke at the tuning machine, because the windings were still attached. Very strange.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I put a set of Smith strings on before a show and had a problem with the E string. I have had dead strings out of the pack before but never like this. All of the strings sounded bright but the E string just went thud when I hit it. It was also not any where near as loud as the other strings. I also heared a strange buzz coming throught the speakers when I played that string. I put back on the old E string and everything was good.
  12. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Called today and spoke to Mr. Roto.

Excellent customer service. He apologized for the problem and is mailing a new replacement string at not charge.

Tel US toll free (800) 675-2501

Mr. Roto
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Never with roto's, DR's yes but I still play both
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Considering both DR and Rotosound strings are handmade, it's not surprising to find a bad string every once in a while. I strung up about a week or two ago with some Roto Swingbass and my set was fine, but I know if there was a bad string I could just call them and all would be well -- same for DR. It's the risk you run when buying handmade strings.
  15. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Replacement string arrived yesterday.

The Roto's not only sent a new string, but a dozen stickers and a bitchin' catalogue.

Excellent customer service.
  16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Did you deal direct with Hammer, the British
    guy? You probably did, this guy really cares
    about his customers, no matter if yer famous
    or not. The guy is a class act, working for
    a first class outfit. It's hard to find that
    kind of customer service anymore.

17. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Not sure of his name, but, yes, he was a British guy.

Top notch customer service. Made me feel like I was Jack Bruce or something.

18. I once bought a set of Roto tapewounds and three out of the four strings had that warbly overtone thing goin' on.
  19. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Strange..... I've never got a bad rotosound even though i've been using them a long time.

But, strangely enough....all the 4-5 packs of DR's i've bougth has sounded like mud...just "thud".

20. I bought a set a couple weeks ago. I'll be sure to post as to how they sound...