Anyone ever had a machine head break on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Magneto, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ouch.. Happened to me this morning. Until now, I had never heard of such a thing happening. The Grover tuner on my ESP F-204 broke as I brought my 2nd string up to normal tune. I had noticed the string was flat, began trying to tune up, and..Snap.. I thought I had broken a string or something. It broke where the tuning post fits the brass gear inside. Just sheared right off.

I'm in the process of trying to have it replaced under warranty. I'll have to see what ESP says. Leaves me wondering if I can even trust the other 3. Who knows, maybe they'll send me a complete set?

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    that happened to me on my first bass, but it was a piece of crap so i didnt fix it, maybe im wrong on this but i think that many manufacturers dont give you a warranty on machineheads.
  3. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I had one of the plastic washers break on the machine head for my Fender Jazz 5 years ago. Wound up going to my guitar tech and digging through his box of throw aways and getting a replacement for like $5. Cheap tuners just aren't real reliable.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    they break it sucks but they do. I had a machine head break on my vintage gibson guitar, imagine how hard it was to find a match for that, but i did. A replacement can be had on stew mac for like $15.