Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever had a scratchless/dentless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mastadulog, Mar 16, 2003.

1. mastadulog

mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    I bought my bass brand new about 3 weeks ago. I really try to take care of it and keep it clean. But then out of nowhere bad luck struck me last night when I had a gig. I was playing down on the floor because I felt cramped up in this small stage. While the crowd was moshing I backed up a little just to avoid some people. But then some guy throws some other guy right on me and I trip on my amp and fall to the floor. Quite a site, huh? I came out in 1 piece, but my bass suffered a little bruise here and there. To make things even worse, my bass fell when I was packing up my things and ready to head home. Now, it brings me to this. Has anyone ever owned a bass without a single scratch or dent on it? And is there a way to remove a scratch/dent?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You could take it to a good luthier who could probably fix any cosmetic damage. . .

But my advice is to just wait a few weeks and see if the scrapes still bother you. If they are minor, chances are they won't bother you. I got a new Flea bass a while back and after a month or so proceeded to knock a little chip in the headstock finish. Its on the very top edge on the back side, so its hardly noticeable, but it really bothered me when it first happened. Now it doesn't bother me.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Right now my MIM P-Bass does not have a scratch or dent on it, which I consider quite remarkable due to:
    a)I have had it for two years
    b)all of my other basses have had numerous dents
    I atribute my success due to how I was sick of my basses having ugly scars, and only droping it on carpets (so far).;)

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    there might be a way to fix any cosmetic damage with nail polish or something....

Mine has tons of little dents and scratches...barely noticable usually...but up close they are abundant. The biggest is a big ol chip out of the bottom where I tripped and it smacked the ground......it was in a gigbag but it is damn thin...and the place I tripped was weird, since there was no obvious step but it was quite a steep drop...and was not very well lit, even though it was night.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I own nine of them. I'm VERY careful with my instruments.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I basically buy only used basses, so I'm used to seeing a ding or two. The only frustrating part is that they remind me that someone else owned the instrument before me.

Although I'm careful with my instruments, they do get the occasional (but rare) bruise. They're used, so I don't feel I have to treat them like they're made of gold.

While I'm not generally happy that the bass is bruised, I rationalize that the instrument is now really mine, as I have now changed it a little.

So don't worry, smile, your instrument's unique!:)

I hope some of that made sense...

7. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I think scratches and dings give the bass character... though nasty gouges and chips aren't too appealing

8. My Bass has two scratches on the back because I let some idiot moron play it... and somehow he ended up scratching the back... It's a black bass so it shows.. I'm never letting anyone touch my bass again.... :mad:

9. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Back in the early/mid 90's, a local university here came up with a machine which could coat surfaces with a layer of diamond by spraying carbon particulars under high pressure.

Haven't heard much news on it since. Would be cool to have basses with an extremely high gloss scratch proof finish :)

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I own very good instruments, but in my opinion taking abuse without complaining is a part of being a good instrument.
    They show scratches and dents, it gives them character, I don't mind them too much.

11. My Cirrus is totally scratch and dent free and I've had it over a year.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If the dents start to bother me (too many or too big), I sand them down.
    One of the advantages of oil/wax finishes.

13. I agree about the character thing. If I hurt my bass in the
    'heat of battle', I consider it a badge of merit. At least it was I that did it, & not some other moron. I'll never sell any bass I own, so I don't mind a little boo-boo. As long as it's not too nasty. But I wouldn't worry about it, and I would only fix it if say the finish was broken thru to the wood.

14. kishko86

kishko86

Jan 5, 2003
    My bass had a dent in it within a day of playing with it. (brand new) Oh well, something to look forward on the next bass.

15. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Scars = Character. Plus, You now have an entertaining story to go along with the boo-boo. All scars tell a story.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Jaco's bass was completely free of dings & scratches.

17. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I've had my MIM P-Bass a year and a half now, and that thing seems to be ding-proof! It's my "take it all-around everywhere" bass and it still has no dings on the body. Never dropped it, but I constantly bump it into things. The only ding it has is on the end of the headstock from taking it off one day in a place with a low ceiling and hitting the ceiling with the headstock. It's a very small ding. MIMs are bullet-proof! I also leave it in the trunk of my car all night in the freezing weather (my car ices over quite frequently) and I've still never adjusted the truss-rod since I first got the bass and it plays perfect. I dare ya' to try that with one of yer artsy-fartsy $2000.oo basses.

18. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Not one of my basses has a scratch or dent, including my 12 year old Alembic. Call me over protective, but I love my instruments! A couple ways I insure they stay that way is to use a tip proof stand (well it is tip proof unless it really gets hit), and never let a guitar player handle them!!

To be fair, I did have a Japanese Fender Jazz that I used to beat the crap out of! It had scratches dings stickers.......I think for some reason Fenders have way more character beat up. But a beat up Alembic...Naaa

19. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I know just how you feel, masta

My NEW bass looked in perfect condition until last week
    :bawl:

I'm an idiot. I was leaning into a concrete ledge where my cab was to check it out and I leaned in too far. Now, I've got a nice big scratch on the top of the body!

I think if you use your bass outside of your home (practices, gigs) you're bound to scratch it or dent it eventually. That's the way I look at it and it makes me feel a little better.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a couple figured wood basses that I don't want to ding up. I don't mind when painted basses get banged around some.

Don't get me wrong: I do try to avoid dings even on painted basses! But my black beater Music Mans are chock full'o'mojo, and I think that's cool. Especially because I bought both new (one in 83, the other in 89) so all the mojo is mine.

It's true, dings can tell a story: "that gash is from when a bunch of musician friends and me spent a long weekend jamming up in my friend's grandfather's house in the hills of Pennsylvania where the nearest house was a half mile away so we could party hard and crank up as loud as we wanted and we invited some local girls over and somewhere along the way a drunk person tripped over the drumset and knocked a cymbal onto my bass".