Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever had an Urge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Has any of you TB'ers ever played or owned a Fender Stu Hamm Signature "Urge" Bass?

They're the best looking Fenders IMO. The pickup configuration may be a little to complexicafunkadelicolicios (sorry), but I heard the sound clips, and they don't sound bad. But who knows how they would sound on my amps. Anyway:

Has any of you TB'ers ever played or owned a Fender Stu Hamm Signature "Urge" Bass?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yep, have a Sherwood Green Urge I.

It's a blast to play with it's 32 in. scale. I consider it a kind of sports car bass as you want to race around playing all sorts of stuff that you wouldn't on another instrument.

The neck is small, but comfortable. I love the look/feel/sound of the Pau Ferro fingerboard. I wish I knew what to do with all 24 frets:confused::meh:

The output is really hot....plus the tone is a little "electronic". I don't know if its the pickups, the Kubicki preamp or the smallish body.

The tone controls (bass and treble) work well but don't have center detents. When the bass is in the passive mode, the bass control acts as a passive tone control (something that doesn't seem to be too well known). The mid boost is adjustable and sounds good.

I bought mine used and didn't get a case with it. However, The Bass Place sells Urge cases (for the 32 in. scale Urge I) on eBay for about $50. I was able to buy some extra tuners and a spare preamp on eBay too...

I personally wouldn't want the Urge as my only bass, but it's an interesting addition to the stable.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    just wanted to point out that the latest urge basses have 34" scales.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, I had an urge and the police showed up.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My nearest Sam Ash store has a used Urge II with 34 in. scale. I played it and didn't care for it a bit...it's a completely different instrument from my 32 in. scale Urge I.

When I bought my green used bass, a small local store had two NOS Urge I instruments in stock. While they were marked way down in price, neither one played very well. My preowned Urge played much, much better (and it didn't really seem like a set up issue with the new basses. They just weren't "right", if you know what I mean).

6. I still have one, bought it in 92.
    It was my main gigging bass for 6 yrs. These are great little basses which are like stratocasters for bass. Super fast neck, lots of electronic options and well a bright mid-based tone.

Billy and I emailed at length when he bought his and i'll tell you the same thing.
    Try one first.

These basses have smallish lightweight body w/ active electronic and a Kubicki preamp and IMO add up to a "lead basss" type sound that they are primarily mid-highs w/ little throbbing lows. Even w/ the Active pre on and full bass dialed in, you get lots of mids (also the Eq is voiced to boost mids). Tonewise- this bass is a compromise; the J -pickups are not truely in the J bass spots and you can get a kinda-sorta jazz tone, the Pre p'up is not even close to the sweet spot and again you don't get warm fat P-bass tones either, you get an electronic version of each. Useful tones but not originals

However playablilty of this bass is second to none. Its got a tiny superfast neck and a 32" scale which adds up to speed and more speed. I can do slap and tap runs on this bass, that i only dream about on my Dingwall.
    As Billy said, its a good bass, but IMO a bass to have in your arsenal
    frank