1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever have a bass finished by a car finisher ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 11, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Have any of you guys ever had a car refinisher paint any of your basses before ?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I've painted a bunch of guitars with automotive acrylic lacquer - solid colors, metalic/clearcoat, tinted clear/clearcoat. It works fine - don't know if I'd take it to Maco.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Wilkins shop uses automotive finishes and techniques.

4. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Automative products and techniques are very commonly used for most gloss finishes and non-oiled satins. The process is more or less the same: after sealing and leveling, a color coat is sprayed (unless a natural finish is desired), then a lacquer, urethane, acrylic or polyester clear coat is sprayed, cured then buffed out. When I started dabbling in refin work, the only place I could find ultra fine abrasives and a decent selection of colors was my local auto parts store. Apart from the wood prep, the theory is much the same as paintin' a car. The old Fender colors were mostly auto colors (LPBlue was a Caddy color from the late 50's) and, at the time, cars were shot with nitro (before more durable finishes became available).

5. We regularly write checks to Finishmaster here in Greensboro, which is "THE" auto finish shop in town.

As someone said, apart from the wood prep part, it's essentially the same idea (I don't think they use polyester finishes on cars though...).

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Spray-in bedliner. Just spray it from a closer distance than you would on a truck bed so it doesn't end up quite as rough.

7. yep, get all my gear from the auto shop! spraying is spraying, as long as they are good theres no difference realy, maybe a little finer finishing and detail.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    One word of caution: if you're going to take a bass to a body shop and have them spray it you should make sure all the prep work is done to your satisfaction beforehand. Don't think that the paint will "fix" anything.

9. yes with good results.... but the painter was a friend AND a musician

10. I had a friend polish out the body on my Peavey Gv. He's a custom painter. It came out great and saved me lots of elbow grease :cool:

11. friend of mine paints motorcycles for a living, he refinishing one of my old basses. It looked amazing!!

12. MAJOR METAL

You know I think his Sherwood Green is identical to a green used on Volkswagon.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Original Fender colors were "borrowed" from General Motors.

I've seen it done time and time again with beautiful results.

14. MAJOR METAL

We have a few places near me that do car finishes and I would be very interested to see how much they would charge if they would do the job to finish a bass body.

15. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    wouldn't that be kind of awkward walking into a shop and asking them to paint it. what would you say? and what if they hurt your babies?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021