1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever have dreams/nightmares pertaining to luthierie?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Traynor, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Traynor

Traynor

Feb 13, 2014
    Broomall, PA
    The other night, I had a slightly unsettling dream. Right now I'm in the planning stages of an electric ukulele build, and I had a dream where I completed the build, but it had a walnut fretboard (not a great fretboard wood due to it's softness, plus I'm planning on using a more exotic wood for the fretboard). I thought it was kind of funny that making instruments has carried over into my dreams. Anyone else have funny dreams/nightmares that have to do with making instruments?

Will_White likes this.
  2. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier

Jan 31, 2014
    Shropshire, UK
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    Yep all the time. It's a side effect of building all day (and often night!). They don't usually make much sense though!

Will_White likes this.
  3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    My luthier related dreams usually involve wiring most of the time it makes no sense, but there's been times I figured out how to do something in a dream and it worked.

JIO likes this.
  4. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    All the time. Usually involving failing a glue up or 8.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yep, every night. They usually involve crowds of angry customers surrounding my building, with torches and pitchforks, each screaming that their project has priority! So, I gave up sleeping. It's too scary.

6. Mine involve spraying clear coat over and over and over. Wait, that's not a dream.

Bassmanmike1 likes this.
  7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    No...but I did have a nightmare in which I drank a coke a few weeks ago. I woke up in a panic. I'm not joking.

lbridenstine likes this.
  8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Cans of varnish and polyurethane that keep tipping over. Screw holes drilled in the wrong spots. Erroneous shop math and measurements.

9. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    all the time but among other things, i have a revolving door of horrors -some current, some long term.

-i primarily make acoustics so i'm always afraid of one folding up in a cloud of splinters and the ball ends of the strings hitting the player in the eyes.
    -making money.
    -humidity control.
    -shipping.
    -cases.
    -finishes.
    -my wood stash. i don't really have one so i have no control of the aging process. i haven't been building for like 40 years using logs from the same tree so i have to pick the woods very carefully.
    -electronics. i have mental barriers to understanding electricity. at the day job i work in high energy physics so i should get this stuff. nobody's fried yet though.
    -headstock design. took me two years to figure out something that looks halfway decent. trouble is not every guitar looks good with the same headstock shape.

notice how none of these are positive things. i think i need a counselor that specializes in luthierie.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Sittin' In Limbo

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    I have dreams of luthrerie actually being a lucrative profession. ;)

gsnad2000, bobdabilder and Will_White like this.
  11. CHaoZ

CHaoZ

Jan 27, 2015
    Ashhurst ,NZ
    Can't even sell my stuff for what it costs in parts alone
    A little off topic , But when I cut drill or route Paduak and inhale the smoke (yeah I know I shouldn't as it could be toxic) I have really vivid dreams that night which I can remember in the morning - anyone else experience this with Paduak?

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Are you sure that was Padauk? LOL

13. CHaoZ

CHaoZ

Jan 27, 2015
    Ashhurst ,NZ
    Can't even sell my stuff for what it costs in parts alone
    Yes, I'm a well behaved family man these days :)