1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever have this happen? (Finish related)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rip Topaz, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Check out the pic, I tried my best to capture what's happening.

This is my 60th Anniversary P (nitro finished body). I spend a ton of time playing sitting down, and just now realized that where the lower horn rests on my leg is discolored, like the finish has turned almost pink in the one area along the edge.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362949203.634669.
    Is it possible for this to happen? I know nitro reacts badly with leather, but what about normal fabric dyes like used in denim? Could the nitro be leaching color from my jeans while resting on my leg while playing?

2. Everything is possible, all my Defil's has nitro finish (except the one painted by my uncle, that has a car paint), and some of them are far away from the original color palette. Paint also has some abrasions at some places mostly used.

I suppose you tried to clean it, and nothing happened. It can be also a matter of something else - one time a friend of mine kept his bass long time by the heater, and his color also has changed (but not to pink one), so maybe you kept it at unproper place (like sharp sun shining) ?

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I'm not gonna try to buff it out or anything. I figure its one more bit of mojo that really makes it mine!! Just polishing it does nothing to remove the color.

The discoloration is right where the bass sits on my knee while I'm sitting to play while watching tv. The only thing I can figure is that it's reacting with the denim or even pulling the color from my jeans. Black fabric dye diluted would have a reddish appearance. I'm wondering what it'll look like in another year!!

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    It also sits on a stand in the living room while not being played, and does get some sun every day. The finish has yellowed significantly in just a year. But this one spot perplexes me.

5. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    What color is the interior of your case?

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    It's a standard MIA Fender case so it has the red fur but its in the case so rarely that I can't imagine that being the problem. Plus, it's only in that one spot.

7. If you really do play it loads of times, it might be that thing. I remember a guy who had a 85' JB, and played it loads of times - for every time he used to place his thumb at the top of bridge pickup - now it looks like it was melted by fire !

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Quit playing with your pink jeans on.

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    This was my 75 poly discoloration from the inside of the case. It was in the finish and would not buff out.

Attached Files:

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    +1

11. If the finish is not opaque and not damaged theres no way the color would change because the contact with a solid thing... in theory

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    That's what I would think, too. But it's still discolored and that is the only explanation I've got. I'm gonna email Fender and see what they say.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've seen so much color transference it gives me a headache. :(

I do think nitro is more prone to it than other paint options.

It happens on all kinds of stuff. Cables leaving a shadow on the paint where they're wrapped up over the strap knob, etc., etc.

I got a small video camera with a yellow rubberized finish a few months ago, and the microfiber carrying bag that came with it turned the yellow finish brown wherever it touched it.

I've never seen nitro react to indigo dye like that before, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Maybe it's not reacting to the fabric dye. Maybe it's reacting to whatever detergent my wife uses.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    My white Fullerton P has some pink on it, too, same area. Never thought about it though.

I live the way nitro ages and the clear coat yellows, it's my No. 1 since a few years and is gaining so much character. I've owned a lot of worn basses but it really is special putting the wear from the hours and gigs on one yourself.

16. Again - it could be also this. Like washing color clothes with white ones at the same time.

To me the reason is not that important. More important thing is the result, and how to clear it. Of course, if it doesnt hurts you that much, either way reliced basses would be called "crappy basses" - also a matter of its age.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Yeah, this is my number one as well. I love everything about this bass, including all the chips, dings and scratches because I've been the one to make every one of them.

And knowing that it has this mark (can't see it unless you're looking for it) makes it even MORE mine!!

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I'm not interested in clearing it, just trying to determine what caused it. Don't know if it happened because of some defect in the lacquer (and I'm eventually gonna have a pink bass!!) or if its because of something I did.

19. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I know it's not yellowing, but, rather, pinking, but this is from renowned Master Finisher Jeff Jewitt's website:

Why Finishes Yellow

Most finishing resins yellow over time and nitrocellulose lacquer and oil-based polyurethane are two of the worst. The reason they do this is because of exposure to light and air. Visible light – particularly in the ultraviolet region breaks the electronic bonds that holds the finish molecule together – eventually forming new chemicals in the finish that are yellow colored. Other factors such as high heat and moisture may have an effect as well as contact with rubbers or plastics that contain sulfur. The rubber protective bumpers on the base of a vase may actually create yellow impressions in a clear lacquer finish.

To minimize yellowing – try to control harsh sunlight if possible and never leave plastic or rubber items (like a vinyl tablecloth) on finishes (especially lacquers - both nitrocellulose and CAB-acrylic) for extended periods of time.

I suspect 2 things are happening here: since you rest the bass in the exact same spot every day for x amount of time over y amount of years, your body heat has reacted w/ the chemicals in your detergent or fabric softener to create the pink 'stain', if you will. Just a theory, but if you really want to know, you could try emailing Jeff.

Rob
    :bassist:

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Rob, your explanation is much appreciated, but that would also mean that the entire back of the instrument would be pink as well, since the body does rest against me while playing and those clothes are washed in the same stuff. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362962445.053987.
    This is typically the way I would be sitting to play while watching tv or just hanging out at home.( Excuse the goofy look, I forget what was happening here.)

I would say at LEAST four hours a day. I'm off on disability for a pretty nasty back injury (six surgeries since 2008), so I've got nothing but time to play.