1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Ever Hear of an SVR-212 Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Sep 4, 2008.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Looking for something compact that an SVT III head can power and came across a twin 12 speaker cabinet with horn. The trick is that they are reverse mounted, one a reflex or drummer monitor.

Looks kind old. Anyone know anything about this beast.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There were at least two types of cabs like that. The one I remember well was the dual 12 (and dual 15) that had one speaker on front and one on back.

The rear facing one was crossed over by a coil, so at higher freqs it wasn't active, but for lows and low mids it was.

The cab was sealed and made to be "almost fart proof", with any amp we made at the time, which included the 4PRO. The speaker for the 15" version was the primo Eminence cast frame custom 15" that has the best high response of any 15 I ever worked with.

Another cab had a front and a down-facing speaker, and there was also a dual chamber type. We tried all sorts of things at various times.

The front and rear speaker unit worked well, but I don't think very many people actually believed it, so we didn't sell many.

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I used to have the 2x15 Isovent, one 15 in the front and one in the back, and it was a bad a$$ cabinet....if I could find one today I would buy it again in a heartbeat...weighed a ton but it was on casters. Very good cab!

4. StyleOverShow

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Had an Acoustic back in the 70's with an 18" reverse mount speaker that literally threw the bass sound into the audience. It wasn't loud on stage but you felt it the farther you were away from the amp.

The SVR-212 sounds like a good size for my uses, its relatively small and I can power it with SVT III Pro, right?

Thanks

5. StyleOverShow

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Yup, think I going to jump on this one. It weighs about 80 lbs and is on casters. Thanks for your input.