Anyone ever hear of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is a company called Pentasystems. Everything they make, guitars and basses, are 5 strings, hence the name. They're also supposed to have different tunings as well.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    For the bass player who wants to be...subtle....

It probably sounds like a beefy Jazz bass. Not a big fan of the strat style input jack, but it could grow on me on the right bass. If I saw one in person, I'd probably pick it up and give it a try, but I don't know if I ever will (unless, of coures you buy one and bring it to the next Atl Get2Getha :D

3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, aren't those the Maestro Alex Gregory concoctions? Very interesting indeed!
    Definitely different...seems like they've been around for a while now. I think I saw them at least a few months ago. Wouldn't mind trying one out.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I like it all accept for the upside down headstock and the pick-guard color
  5. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Uye, mate, the color'f that thing! And the fingerboard inlays are off, too.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    it probably sounds good... but its too shiny for me... of course i'm always welcoming free basses into my home... whats one more :D
  7. That Strat input is really strange. I've never seen one on a bass.
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I can see why they don't make pianos.
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't think so. The inlays are probably right down the center of the fingerboard. However, the stringslots in the nut were cut so that the space between each string is exactly the same. This method of string spacing will set the A-string off center, which looks a little funny, but it is a nice attention to detail, and to me, feels more comfortable to play :) .
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If you guys haven't checked out the website yet, you are missing one of the strangest features of these guitars. I can't find a picture of the bass headstock side-view, but it is set-up like his guitar:
    It's called the 'multi-planar headstock.'
    I think Steve Barr has a pic of the bass headstock somewhere.

How's about that?
  11. What's so shocking about it? thats almost the same as having an angled headstock.

Edit: Spelling
  12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually you're off.;) :D

I think what he meant was the dots that would normally be at the 9th & 21st frets are actually at the 10th & 22nd frets. Very odd.
  13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

Maybe I'll have to take a peek at the website and see if the fretmarkers on all of the instruments are like that...
  14. The Pentasystem instruments are tuned in 5ths so why should all the fretmarkers be at the same spot?
  15. Are these basses being made in Tijuana:eek:
  16. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

:eek: :eek: :eek:

that'd do it.

17. I can imagine how much weight that adds to the headstock.

That is a lot of additional wood when it would be just as easy to make an angled headstock.

Either way, not my thing, too sparkly. :D
  18. I have an old guitar that has a fret marker at 10 instead of 9. until about a month ago, i didn't know the markers were at harmonic points, so i didn't think anything of i wonder why it is that way.....

it's a nylon string acoustic. probably about 20-25 years old.....

any ideas?
  19. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Here's the bass headstock (the one on the left):