Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever heard of a STC 3A (3 band pre-amp for a 5 string bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ophone, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    I took my bass to the shop and requested that a 3-band EQ preamp be put inside. The shop took my bass and told me they were going to put a bartolini STC 3A in for me. Sounded good to me, so I let them do the work. I got my bass back today. It doesn't seem to be what I thought. I have a 5 String Diamond series Schecter.
    Original setup:
    EMGHZ pickups, EMG 2 band EQ/9volt, 4 knobs (2 pickup volume, 1 treble, 1 bass).
    After work setup:
    EMGHZ pickups, 4 knobs (1 treble, 1 bass, 1 pickup volume, 1 push-pull pickup volume/sweep maybe).
    The Pre-amp looks to be the same 2 band EQ, but with some type of boost/sweep switch on ONLY ONE of my pickups.

Does this sound a little shady to anyone?
    I'm very confused about whether a 3 band eq has been put inside, because I'm no electronics expert, but I can't seem to find this product anywhere.

Have I been mislead?

Christopher

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sounds like it. Although obviously I wasn't there so don't know what was said.

First off, If they said it was a Bartolini, they were in error. STC-3A is a Seymour Duncan 3 band preamp for active pickups. Seymour Duncan make great preamps. You should have a push pull on the master volume pot. This will engage their slap contour, where the lows are boosted and the mids around 660hz are cut.

If you only have bass/treble, then it was in all likeliness an STC-2A preamp. Go to the SD site at http://www.seymourduncan.com and go to the Basslines product section. You'll see a link for the STC preamp series, which should get you the information you're looking for.

So, the options are that you do have a STC-3a and they didn't wire the mid knob up for some reason or they just put in a STC-2A. Either way, sounds like you only effectively have a 2 band preamp.

3. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    You seem to be exactly right. The setup I have gives me a great sound with a one setting. The exact sound I was looking for in fact, but it does not allow me to a way to turn the volume up and down, without changing the sound. Do you know the price for that STC-3a.......Since I know I was mislead, I might as well know how much they REALLY got me for. Would happen to have a picture or schematic of that particular pre-amp?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you sure one of the volume pedals you talk about isn't a blend pot? If it has a center detent, maybe it's the blend pot? Or maybe they wired both volumes into one volume pot to give you mid/bass/treble on the other three pots. Did they not explain what they did when you picked it up?

As I said, you can get preamp details on the basslines.com website.
    The schematic was also available from this website, go to the support/schematic section and you'll see an option under bass for 3 band tone circuit.

For rough idea of prices, look here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Hardware/pickups/sdpickup.htm

5. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    I'm new to this whole bass modifications thing. So I may have been bamboozled this time.
    I wanted more Mids in my bass, so I asked the guy about a 3 band EQ. I told him I wanted a Vol/high/mid/bass control, since I have a 4 knob setup. He told me he could do it. He said he would put this STC-3a preamp in.
    So I get my bass back, and I have the setup I explained in the first part of this thread. I just got off the phone with him, and he tells me it will be another $65 to have a knob switched to master volume, but then the pickups would be running parrallel and he can't guaranttee that I will get the same sound.

Maybe I should take it to someone else. I think I just got GOT, for $220.

You live and you learn

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Pickups...