1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever heard of a STC 3A (3 band pre-amp for a 5 string bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ophone, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    I took my bass to the shop and requested that a 3-band EQ preamp be put inside. The shop took my bass and told me they were going to put a bartolini STC 3A in for me. Sounded good to me, so I let them do the work. I got my bass back today. It doesn't seem to be what I thought. I have a 5 String Diamond series Schecter.
    Original setup:
    EMGHZ pickups, EMG 2 band EQ/9volt, 4 knobs (2 pickup volume, 1 treble, 1 bass).
    After work setup:
    EMGHZ pickups, 4 knobs (1 treble, 1 bass, 1 pickup volume, 1 push-pull pickup volume/sweep maybe).
    The Pre-amp looks to be the same 2 band EQ, but with some type of boost/sweep switch on ONLY ONE of my pickups.

Does this sound a little shady to anyone?
    I'm very confused about whether a 3 band eq has been put inside, because I'm no electronics expert, but I can't seem to find this product anywhere.

Have I been mislead?

Christopher

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sounds like it. Although obviously I wasn't there so don't know what was said.

First off, If they said it was a Bartolini, they were in error. STC-3A is a Seymour Duncan 3 band preamp for active pickups. Seymour Duncan make great preamps. You should have a push pull on the master volume pot. This will engage their slap contour, where the lows are boosted and the mids around 660hz are cut.

If you only have bass/treble, then it was in all likeliness an STC-2A preamp. Go to the SD site at http://www.seymourduncan.com and go to the Basslines product section. You'll see a link for the STC preamp series, which should get you the information you're looking for.

So, the options are that you do have a STC-3a and they didn't wire the mid knob up for some reason or they just put in a STC-2A. Either way, sounds like you only effectively have a 2 band preamp.

3. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    You seem to be exactly right. The setup I have gives me a great sound with a one setting. The exact sound I was looking for in fact, but it does not allow me to a way to turn the volume up and down, without changing the sound. Do you know the price for that STC-3a.......Since I know I was mislead, I might as well know how much they REALLY got me for. Would happen to have a picture or schematic of that particular pre-amp?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you sure one of the volume pedals you talk about isn't a blend pot? If it has a center detent, maybe it's the blend pot? Or maybe they wired both volumes into one volume pot to give you mid/bass/treble on the other three pots. Did they not explain what they did when you picked it up?

As I said, you can get preamp details on the basslines.com website.
    The schematic was also available from this website, go to the support/schematic section and you'll see an option under bass for 3 band tone circuit.

For rough idea of prices, look here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Hardware/pickups/sdpickup.htm

5. Ophone

Ophone

Oct 28, 2003
    Douglasville, GA
    I'm new to this whole bass modifications thing. So I may have been bamboozled this time.
    I wanted more Mids in my bass, so I asked the guy about a 3 band EQ. I told him I wanted a Vol/high/mid/bass control, since I have a 4 knob setup. He told me he could do it. He said he would put this STC-3a preamp in.
    So I get my bass back, and I have the setup I explained in the first part of this thread. I just got off the phone with him, and he tells me it will be another $65 to have a knob switched to master volume, but then the pickups would be running parrallel and he can't guaranttee that I will get the same sound.

Maybe I should take it to someone else. I think I just got GOT, for $220.

You live and you learn

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Pickups...