1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever heard of these basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Sep 22, 2010.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Saw this on ebay... looks pretty cool, actually, if the seller would just put the strings in the saddles at the bridge! lol

It has a zero fret, etc.

JOLANA-DIAMANT BASS

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Notice how high above the bridge the bridge adjustment screws are. They obviously arent doing anything to adjust the bridge. The bridge is flush with the body and the two adjustment screws are doing nothing except being guides for where the bridge is on the body. That plus the way the strings are done over the bridge is enough for me to not even concider the thing even if I was a fan of the body style.

3. Emm9T

Emm9T

Sep 28, 2009
    Holiday, Fl
    Hah! at least they tried to put the strings on... well it looks like the kind of thing I'd buy at a pawn shop for 75 bucks, but for 300 (+75 shipping) I think I could do a lot better

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm not sure whether the Jolanas are Czech or Russian made, but they are certainly nothing special. At $100 you might take a flyer - not at that price.

5. Hi.

Clearly You've never seen one.
    The bridge and the screws are supposed to look like that when the bridge is low. It's a bolt-on instrument obviously, so if one want's the bridge to be higher, it's just a simple (un-necessary) shimming job.

Jolana's are decent examples of eastern-block basses and guitars.

I have a Diamant LP bass and a Disco SG guitar.

Nothing spectacular but with a good setup, in par with any entry level instrument, nothing more, nothing less.
    Unless You consider 'em being vintage something "more".

Back in the day I paid roughly eqvivalent of $300 in todays currency for mine. But it was all original with the original bag.

For some reason I'm unable to log in on my Photobucket account, so no pic.

Ok, here's mine:

diamandbas.jpg

And here's some "info" about Jolana Diamant in general:

http://cheesyguitars.com/jolana_diamant.html

Regards
    Sam

6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Another Eastern Bloc knock off from the 1970s (les Fake Paul Bass).

Those things are all over Ebay- some guy from the Ukraine tries to sell all these hollow body basses with exorbitant shipping prices-might be cool to find in a pawn shop but not at international shipping!
    Les Paul style instruments are usually mahogany or mahogany with a maple top-your odds of this one having anything with hardwood even resembling this combination are very low indeed.

7. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    Jeez!

I used to have one of them, it was my second bass (after another Jolana - Iris). Takes me back to '88 or something like that.

It supposed to be a Gibson Les Paul Bass copy. There was a 6-string version too which wasn't that bad; my guitarist used to love it.

So I bought the bass and it was basically the 6-string with slightly modified neck. Same pickups though - no punch just high gain.

Absolutely revolting instrument. Made in Czechoslovakia, pride of the communist wannabe rock people. It may still be somewhere in my mum's place.

There is absolutely nothing good about this instrument apart from nice black finish. The quality of manufacturiing was pretty good, surely beats some of the current stuff, but the engineering just wasn't there. The 6-string Diamant guitar was quite good (according to my former stardards), but bass was a no-no.

Still feels good to see one of them after all these years :crying:

8. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I like that bass

9. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Kind of cool looking, but I'd never buy something like that sight unseen and probably not for that kind of money.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021