1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever heard or played a "Traps" drumkit in person?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Thinking about getting a small setup for my house that isn't as loud as an acoustic kit.

I had a digital kit and HATED the cymbol sounds.

Just curious if anyone has heard these in action.

YouTube has a few vids up but it's hard to tell with those.

A-400-AI.

It's gotten decent reviews.

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Our drummer Trev has a set of arbitar flats, which are the same concept, though without the rack frame. They come in a cheaper version which has some plastic parts, and a "pro" version with metal rims.

The main benefit is portability - Trev uses them for rehersal, as he can carry the whole kit from the car in two trips. In that respect they work great. They sound fine - if you're a serious drummer you'll still want a "real" kit for gigs, but no one else would really worry about the difference in tone from a real kit.

Technically, I guess they are quieter than a full kit, but quiet isn't a word I'd use to describe them (at least when played by Trev!). I wouldn't choose them if quiet was the aim - they're quiet capable of keeping up with a loud band rehersal, if not a gig.

In summary - Trev loves them for their portability, but Quiet is not a word he has full comprehension of. If you want quiet you'll be dissapointed.

Ian

3. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    My last kick drum was a Sonor and boomed. I practice in my basement and it traveled too much upstairs. Loud isn't a complete issue, but bassy boom is.

4. I also have Arbiter Flats and I love 'em. I know what you mean about the volume though....

5. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    My church just bought a Traps kit... I have only heard it played with the electronic pads on it, not "au natural". Sounds pretty good. A little weird to have the kid beating on the pads and hearing clicks and the drum sounds coming outta the speakers elsewhere...

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    ttt