Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever 'hide' a 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jul 6, 2005.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    What I mean is - you ever place a 15" cab behind your stack because of not having enough room?

A gig I often play has a really low ceiling where we set up our amps - so I considered putting the 15" cab behind my 410 cab. The 15 would either fire sideways or into the back of the 410 but about a foot back.

How would this work out?

2. I know of upright players who would turn the cabinet towards the back wall, creating a reflex cabinet, so to speak. Said that it helped fill the room, and sounded better in harsher-sounding venues.

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Try putting them back to back, with the tens firing out towards your audience. Lows don't become directional until about 200hz so it dousn't matter where you introduce them into the room, it seems like that real low end just rises up. Since ( IMHO) the only thing 15's are good for is "whoosh" , it should only make the lows in the room louder while the tens will cut the stage pretty well. I used to own a cabinet with four 5" speakers and a horn facing front and a passive radiator ( a speaker cone,w/o a magnet or voice coil) on the back. This let the small speakers move the cone and it added a real deep end to an otherwise puny cabinet ( 16x19x10, 26lbs)

4. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I guess putting them back to back is a better idea. However, the drummer is slightly to my right (as I'm facing the crowd) but kind of back further. He might complain a bit - Drummers= :bawl: anyways.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Sure, I just shoved her head down on the seat until we got out of the school parking lot. I swear, she said she was sixteen. But why take chances? :eek:

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    BUT DID IT SOUND GOOD?

7. The back firing idea works really well...also...wer were kidna stupid for one gig, so we chained our 2 x 15 cab, with two heavy duty chain link lines, to the light bracing (it was really solidly built). Worked wonders.

Cheers,

Nish

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bwahahaha...thud.

That was it for my coke.

9. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Back to back? You're out of phase.

10. You can also chain heavy speakers to gas lines. THey're pretty sturdy. Aren't they??? :eek:

Randy

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    So wire them back in phase... :rolleyes:

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is it possible to put the 15 and 4x10 on the floor side by side, both firing forwards?

13. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    you could try having the 15 fire towards the ground like leaning against the 4x10 (turn both on their sides if they have casters)
    or make a stand for the 15 so it sits like 4-10"s off the ground and put the 4x10 on top of that.

14. Anybody seen Eurotrip? If you want to hide your 15 so people can't steal it, you should hide it in your anus.

Randy