Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever install a hipshot bass trem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fr0me0, Feb 3, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I bought one it didn't come with any instructions. Asked for instructions on how to install it, explained I had a pre router body they just sent me instructions on how to route it :rolleyes:

I can't find any local luthiers except for a classical guitar guy and a violin guy.

So I"m trying to install it myself and I've come accross an issue

[​IMG]

thatsa pic from their website. But my bridge doesn't look like that, its flipped around, you see how one side drops off right away and on the other side its angle down?

Well on mine, the angled down part is facing the other way, So when I try to put the springs in the round part of the spring gets stuck on the angle part and it wont allow me to set the spring in all the way. Has anyone else ever installed a bridge? Did yours look like the pic posted? or is it flipped around too? If it isn't like the pic posted how did you get the springs in all the way with the round part of the spring getting stuck on the angle part?

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Uh.....i didn't understand what you were saying. Is it much different than installing a strat tremelo?

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    its hard to explain

you see the edge outlined in red? well its facing the other way on my bridge and since it doesnt cut off on a hard 90 degree angle like the other side the springs can't properly be set into the bridge and keep snapping off when I press on the trem.

Attached Files:

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    :confused: i'm not too sure what's goin on with your trem but, it is the same as installing a strat trem.

5. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    I'm having a little trouble following you- are you saying that the block that the springs fit into is backwards? If so, just unscrew it from the plate & flip it around. In addition to the problem that you're experiencing, the angle needs to face the other way to give you the unit's full range of motion. I've recieved that unit from Hipshort in various states of assembly- never assembled wrong, though. Hipshot doesn't provide "installation instructions" per se- just dimensions & cavity locations. I think they assume that anyone attemting to install a tremelo has some degree of experience already.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah I've done a trem before but never ran into anything like this. I guess it was just assembled wrong then and i'll have to flip it around.

like you said tho I've never heard of anything comming assembled wrong so I wanted to make sure I double checked before takeing it off and reversing it.

Attached Files:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately wierd that it would be assembled wrong. NEVER heard of a problem from a Hipshot product. Maybe you got the intern on a Friday. ;)

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Where did you get the hipshot from.... If you don't mind me asking?

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    was from Warmoth. I don't really care it was done wrong was just a little gunshy bout changing anything cause I figured i'd be right from the factory.

10. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    when you're finished installing it, could you post a review or something, I like the idea of having one of those sometime in the future.