Anyone ever "lose their metal"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 9, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've noticed more and more these days that I'm really phasing a lot of metal out of my listening. I don't know if I'm mellowing out or what. I dig a lot of Doom/Stoner stuff, but stupid thrash/death doesn't do it for me much anymore.

Example: Mastadon's Leviathan... it really is a good album, but I bought it because I heard from reviews it's a great "stoner rock" album... no it's not... it's a great metal album. And that bummed me out, it's grown on me, but it took a while due to false advertisement from reviews.

I think aside from mellowing with age, and getting into Prog and Stoner more and more (Today at work I listened to Monster Magnet, The Obsessed, King Crimson, Genesis, Kyuss, one of those Yes side projects, and... other misc stoner/prog I'm forgetting about) I think it's because I have to sort through sooooOooOooOoo much generic crap metal that it makes it hard to find good metal (I'm not requesting a list... just yet). I dig the occasional Cannibal Corpse, Overkill, Cryptopsy... but with them, I grow weary of the "Brutaler than thou art" attitude... though if Slipknot are Pile Drivingly Heavy... Cryptopsy is like Flying Elbow Drop from the Top of the Hell in a Cell Steel Cage at Madison Square Garden Heavy... yeah I use to watch wrestling... but I lost that long ago.

So has this happened to anyone else? I'm waiting for Jazzbo to tell us what a big Manowar fan he use to be...
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've never really listened to rock music or to metal. So I can't say I've ever lost it. Personally, I never listened to it because all the super heavy guitar stuff puts me to sleep, like... literally puts me to sleep. That said, I have definitely appreciated a couple metal acts in my day. So anyway, now that I've shat all over your thread topic, you can commence with the jiggling.

I have never gotten tired of the metal that I have been exposed to and liked.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's my problem, I use to even kinda dig on the generic stuff... now if the metal act isn't really impressing me, I don't give them more than a one song listen.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I lost my metal in the late 70s. AC/DCs "For Those About To Rock" was probably my final fling with metal...if you call that metal. I guess early 80s hardcore/punk sometimes got near metal at times...I lost that around 85.

I like some of SOAD and Opeth's stuff so I guess I'm flirting with it again...sort of.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Theres alot of bogus metal (and alot of other genres) coming out these days...I also lack the patience to give bands a chance if something doesn't grab me on the first listen. Then there's the tricksters that get me interested, but upon further listening I realize I don't think they're very good. Theres tons of stuff I used to LOVE that I barely ever listen to anymore. Death metal especially. My taste is always evolving and changing anyway so i don't know.

I like to hear bands that aren't afraid to push the envelope...they're the ones I alway return to. Mastodon definitely being one of them. Even though they do not fit in the stoner category theyre usually associated with.
  6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I personally think it depends on your generation, per se. I'm in my mid 20's, and I'm a big fan of Swedish metal like Arch Enemy, Night Rage, In Flames, et cetera as well as some American "metalcore" stuff like Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, and ZAO. I say that it depends on the generation, because I think it depends on what you grew up thinking is metal. I can barely listen to any "old" metal, because it just sounds cheesy to me.

That being said, I listen to all kinds of music, because I think it is stupid to only focus on one genre. I'm actually most interested in more experimental bands that will go from Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emporer to Mogwai to Don Caballero to ISIS. :bassist:
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I never liked death metal, but back in high school about 85% of my music collection was some sort of metal or industrial (early Korn, Prong, Metallica, NIN, Type O, etc.). Now it's very rare that I listen to anything much harder than Queens of the Stone Age or Clutch, with the exception of Tool, which is still my favorite band. I've gotten much more into jazz and groovey r+b (Maxwell, Luscious Jackson, Musiq, etc.), and I've also gotten back into loving rap.
  8. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I used to be really big into metal when I was in High School, and I still listen to those bands that I really enjoyed then, but I can't seem to get into it as much as I used to. Anymore I'm more into stuff centered around rhythm like funk and fusion than I am loud guitars and booming voices ;) Plus I can't get into anything that considers itself metal these days. At least anything that makes it onto the radio. Blech :)

edit: I bet we had the same t-shirts back in the day, Bryan :)
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I listened to Metallica religiously for like 3 months...

Now I listen to them occasionally. I still love them, but I've memorized every tiny little part of every little thing.
  10. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I am almost completely out of metal now. I used to be way into it, now, eh. When the urge strikes me, I'll pull out some of my old stuff, like this morning I listened to some slayer, but after a few songs I switched to modest mouse.

Though I'm listening to a leaked version of the new system of a down album, and it got me in the mood for more system.

I don't know, I think I still like things with a rough edge, or energy, so to speak, but I can't listen to something like static-x anymore.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

If I remember correctly, my main ones were three Tools, a NIN with the little NIN on the front, a Korn, and a Rage Against the Machine. I used to put Neurosis stickers on my paintbox as well.
  12. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    used to listen to a lot of Megadeth, Metallica (late 80's eary 90's) Maiden, Sepultura and also got a bit burnt out after a while. Only so much piledriving-ly Eavy-ness you can take.

Getting back into Swedish metal. Thanks to many reccomendations here, and some American stuff like Lamb of god.
    I like the bands that have some good level of musicianship, mostly the melodic/prog metal bands.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I still listen to metal on a regular basis. I'm a child of the 80's and to this day find metal acts I like. I guess I never was hung up on just listening to metal only so I never got burnt out on it. I have always had a wide variety of genre's I like. I think alot of the metal acts from the 90's really were more daring with their sound and it paid off.

Now Death/Black metal, never got into it and still don't. I like atleast a little musical quality to the vocals in the music I like.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hasn't really happened to me. I listen to such a wide variety of music, metal is only a fraction of what I listen to. It doesn't wear me down, because I don't ingest it 24/7. Hell, sometimes I won't end up listening to metal for a week or two at a time, and I don't mind. It's all mood dictated.
  15. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Never really lost it. I think if you like hard rock and metal you won't someday wake up, put on a dance music CD and say, wow my musical tastes have finally evolved! If you do then you never liked metal to begin with. You may taper off in terms of how often you listen to it, but I think the underlying love of metal music is alway with you.
  16. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have found that i have become alot more picky when buying metal. i used to buy stuff just to have the bands whole catalog. now i try and listen and make sure it is worth it first. although i still buy anything that entombed put out. 17 and still going
  17. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Exactly :bassist:
  18. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Same thing happened to me except replace metal with punk. I still listen to it once and a while, but I've just been exposed to so many other great forms of music I can't possibly listen to it in the same proportion as before.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I guess this is where I'm sorta at. It's just I lost it with such a steady decline. I started getting into some of the stoner bands I listed and decided it doesn't need to get much heavier than this. Then I got into King Crimson and that just completely altered my perception of what music is.

But mood dictated, I will bust out some metal now and then. Sometimes I'll still have a metal week.

Metal fans are going to hate me for this: I never got Slayer. Snare Snare Snare drums shouty vocals, the same solo over and over again. Meh, they never did it for me.
  20. I listen to such a wide variety of music that I never really get burnt out on one genre... for example, yesterday I was listening to Ralph Stanley, but today I put in the Renegades album by Rage Against the Machine