1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever lost a gig because they didn't own a modern bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never have ;)

But in all seriousness, to expand on the similarly-titled Fender thread, I think that a working bassist for hire does need to own a more modern-design bass with active electronics. While you can use a Fender Jazz on any kind of music you can think of and it will work great, there are producers and bandleaders out there that like the more cutting tones and the more even response (traits that eventually led me away from modern basses, BTW) that modern basses give you. I'm thinking heavier rock and smooth jazz are two styles that modern basses are well-suited to.

So has anyone out there have someone request that you bring a modern bass instead of your trusty Precision or Jazz?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Boy, that's a really risky move there! That takes some balls to pull off. I think your post needs a disclaimer:

WARNING: 88persuader is a skilled professional fretless bassist who has spent years training at his craft. Using a fretless on a paying gig where the bandleader doesn't want it should not be attempted by non-professionals.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can't play fretless in tune live, and I've been playing for 30 years professionally.

4. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Hey Jim ... before reading your last post I got rid of my posts so I don't hijack your thread. Please feel free to do the same if you feel like it. Looks like you responding to nobody!
    :) ......... Yeah I guess I can come off confident ... guess I am. BUT I don't want to come off like a big headed jerk either.

Peace

5. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    To answer your question Jim that has never happened to me either way. I've never lost a gig for not having a Fender or a traditional bass and I've never lost a gig for not having a modern bass. Currently I only have modern basses ... personal preference. However like many of us I started with Fenders and played nothing but Fenders for years. I think I gigged for 15 years before deciding it was time to buy one of those pricy modern new fangled basses. :) Now I'm hooked!

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Never had that problem, if I need a modern sound my Kubicki is right there for me!

7. Most band leaders, engineers, producers, don't seem to care what kind of bass I'm playing as long as it sounds good and I play well. They are usually more concerned with miking drums and getting singers to sing in tune.

8. I haven't. People don't seem to mind me bringing a 'wick and a Jazz w/flats. I have lost a reggae gig for not being able to sing backups, though.

9. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Good point Blake!

10. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I was a huge fender fan for a long while, though I found it best to stray from them, and I'd never go back to playng one honestly!
    eventualy a lakland, they seem to be cool!:D
    but I never lost a gig for using my bass, which happens to be modern. I was lucky enough to have people allow me to have my sound!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you check out BassplayerTV, Janek Gwizdala talks about how he has run into some situations where the producers wanted him to have a Ken Smith. He mentions arguing that his Fodera was built by the man who made many of the early Ken Smiths, but it did not do any good.

Also check the clips just to see Janek play, the man has groove for days!:eek: :bassist: :D

12. No, cuz I have the modern tone. Producers like it because it's better. Just pony up and get a modern bass. Vintage basses are for wimps. Smell the sarcasm........

Really, it bugs me when bands boss us around so damn much. I know how to find a good sound for a song. With 10 basses at my fingertips, one is bound to have the right sound. I'm democratic about which sound I get, but I grab what sounds right and feels comfortable. It may be someone else's dime, but it's my shoulder!!!

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If your "bandleader" is more worried about what bass you play than your playing, you both have a serious problem.

I guess I've been lucky that I haven't encounter any band, bandleader or producer/engineer that requested a specific bass. I will usually bring 2 or 3 and see what works best.

But yeah, I know there are some producers out there who have it all figured out and are finicky about what brand you play.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I'm not going to go out and buy something new that I didn't want already to get a gig, but if I'm doing a true sideman type gig I'm going to tell them what basses I have and ask what they'd want me to bring.