Anyone ever make a drum shield??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, May 21, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Anyone ever make a drum shield?? I'm tired of our loud drummer. I know it wont lower the volume, but it may help with the sound being so mushy etc.

They are expensive even if we would buy the plexi-glass and make it ourselves. We were thinking about plywood.

Anyone have any experience with making one?
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Haha, plywood. Why not just make him play inthe closet? Or in the other room. I think the plexiglass ones are good, but you could pick up some plexiglass and make your own cheaper than buying one, it would be better than building a room around your drummer.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually I said we looked at making one ourselves. The Plexiglass costs around $40-50 a sheet and we would need 4-5. So the cost would be about the same as buying one.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    either get nice earplugs with the 25db attenuators, or in ear monitors so you can reduce all stage volume and make him not play so loud to be heard.

the plexiglass shield doesn't work too well IME. maybe if you built a plywood one with foam on the inside, but if it got tall enough to do some good (cymbals are loudest) it'd block your line of sight with the drummer

unless you put in a nice picture window :)
  5. we've got a very loud drummer in our band, and we also can't afford shields.

so we put towels over the drums. works a treat!

6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    True, you might just want to muffle the drums a bit. You can do that real cheap with some tape and some paper towel if you can't afford the muffle stuff (can't remember the name)
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I HATE those damn things! Its like having sex with a rubber on. As jason implied, its a bandage, not a real cure. You can't make the drummer play any softer either, it just doesn't work. Loud drummers are something you just gotta live with. Like it or not. As far as muffling the drums, that might work, but it'll just piss the drummer off.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Our drummer is loud, our practice spot is to small, but the big thing is that his drums are loud!!

He had a Tama which was loud, but then he got his DW and the kick on that thing is deafening!!! Its even one of those jazzy looking ones with the smaller toms.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

I also we wear ear plugs. Our singer doesnt. I can see why, if there is a song were I need to sing alot on I take them out. Just cant get used to that hollow muffly thing.

They are high quality ones that are cutom made for your ear. They cost about $100 to make them.
  10. Maybe he could rehearse with something like the Vater Acousticks. There are also mesh screens that can be placed inside the toms to reduce airflow, vibration, and volume for reheasals. Interstate Music has a whole bunch of that kind of stuff.

Check out this link Drum Mufflers
  11. Headphone amp. Headphones

For practices anyway. We use an in-ear monitor system w/ the band. We're thinking of just keeping the In-ear system in the trailer, and get a headphone amp and headphones for practice. That way someone can come over and grab a set of phones if they wanna listen in. Headphones keep out the extra noise and let you hear what you want. I'd suggest just miking the kick and using a single overhead mic for the rest. The kick drum will resonate w/ the other toms allowing you to hear them enough. The overhead will grab the snare/hihat/cymbals enough to work good. Mix bass/guitar low in the ears, and pump the vocals.

It makes is sooooooooo much nicer to practice. You don't know what you're missing.

Behringer Headphone amp. 4 Channels, indpendent control of bass treble/other things. 8 total outputs

Headphones. Just basic ones are what's needed.

Behringer Mixer. 4 Aux sends so you can have 4 individual mixes of vocals/etc. Onboard FX for vocals.

You'll need XLR cables, etc. Mics for drums/guitar cab. If you don't think this is for you, then find another band in town that's using headphones/wireless for practice. You'll flip.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Tuff sounds tempting. We have mics, a small line mixer. But we just use it for vocals so we would need a bigger mixer. So we would be looking at a big'r investment than we planned. Or does the headphone amp take lines in from say the direct lines from guitar(line 6) and bass?? Then we could use our small four channel from vocals and a drum mic.

Anyone know of a cheap mixer that might work for 3 vocals, a direct line from guitar, bass, and maybe a mic or 2 for drums?
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Odie, this is what my band does:

This works very well and reduces the noise from the drummer.

There is a good reason why for example the Jay Leno houseband and more use plexiglass to shield the drummer.

Try it out, you won´t regret it!
  14. Hmm, that four channel behringer has Bass/Treble controls for each channel. It has 2 Inputs, along w/ balance between the two. So, one input would be from the small line mixer plus another.

You'd need a larger board for all the inputs, something with aux sends so you can control each mix for every different band member. Plus headphone amp, plus headphones. I'm not gonna tell you it's cheap. I just hoped that it'd come in about the same price as a drum shield. You'd need kick, overhead for drums. Guitar/Bass. Then vocals. So like 8 max? But, I think you'd be just fine w/ vocals only w/ in earphones. Then take out one to adjust playing volumes...etc. Your ears will thank you for it eventually lol.

Hope any of this helped. It's worth checking into for any band.
  15. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    We built a couple of wooden stuctures that were as high as the cymbals and hung some towels on them. They didn't cover the whole kit but it sure lowered the volume.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    never made a drum shield, but the trumpet shield is something that i will never leave home without!!

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have tinitis and permanent hearing loss. I had the "Musician's Earplugs ER9". They cost $125. They lasted a year and became worn, slipped out of place, and one cracked. I went back to REAL cotton and I'm happier. You have to use just the right amount, but it works very well. Our drummer is killer loud and it's the snare that gets me.