1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever moded a swr Red Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobJeff3, Mar 7, 2008.

1. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    I'm not to sure whats going on with my amp but it doesn't produce enough volume b4 it sounds like absolute junk. I was thinking about removing the head and putting a 4X10 under it. Do you think this would work, or am I an idiot for thinking this way and my speakers are blown?

Thanks for any help

Hello TB

Rob

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    redheads probably aren't the best gigging amps in the world, they are more commonly found in studios. I suggest you ditch the redhead for a real gigging amp, and ditch the blonde for a real redhead (trust me...)

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1, Redheads are killer in an iso room; not so much on stage.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    As long as you don't expect the SRH to be something it's not, it's great.
    But, two tens, and limited watts + the SWR "kinda sterile mid free sound" ain't gonna bully anyone in a dense live mix.

I had a SRH for many years; liked it a lot, and occasionally put a 115 under it.
    It worked great for both DB and electric, given it's limitations.

They hold their value failry well.
    You could flip it, and start over for not much more jack...

If you've tried it with an extension cab of your choice underneath it, and been happy, you might like that head well enough inside a "410 airhead," which someone like Low Down Sound could make for you.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Had one some time ago and personally found it a mixed bag.

Pretty much what everyone has said about them so far, but I used a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the spare rack spot and dialed it in to give the amp a bit more presence live.

:) ... Worked pretty well, until I bought the Mark Bass LM II with Mini cabs.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I have a Super Redhead for my main amp.

When I play on a larger stage, I put a SWR 15" cab on the aux speaker out. It has a small tweeter in it as well.

It has all the outputs you can ask for to go into the house...

Has more then enough power if you ask me, I use it for everything from jazz, blues, and hard rock and funk etc...

The only mods I have done to mine is adding a BBE Sonic Maximizer into the spare rack as said above...

I did also wire a black light into the inside of it as well :D

7. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks for the ideas. I think what I need to do is sell mine and buy a real amp..... ampeg or Mesa?

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

Both fine amps ...

I've owned Ampeg and currently own a Mesa, but don't sell some of the new Micros short sold my SWR when I got my Mark Bass ... have a Genz Shuttle on the way too, both nice and powerful amps.

:) ... Coupled with a new lightweight 2x10 you have an under 50lb rig.