1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever "pimped out" a lower end bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chandler Bing, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Keep in mind when I say "lower end", I mean price wise, not nec. quality wise. I've got a Squire P-Bass that I love that I'm gonna put a Badass III bridge on, change the keys, put on some Bassline pickups, new knobs, ect. Anyone have any pics of their cheapy with some better aftermarket parts on it?

2. here's my "pimped" SX Geddy V

attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg \

hipshot ultralites, audere pre, badass V, and a new pickguard. eventually i plan on getting new pickups too.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Ask any body with a SX bass.

4. I pimped a Yamaha RBX-170.

I changed the Pickups, and put on it a Basslines Vintage P-Bass (I happen to like it better than a QP) on the neck position, and a custom hand-made pickup, built by a local luthier in the bridge position. GREAT pickup, smokes any bartolini, basslines or anything in that range. And I paid 50€ for it :hyper:

On the electronics side the only thing I changed was getting out the tone knob (it was so far away that was unusable for me, and it sounds much better without it).

5. Alan 342

Alan 342

Apr 3, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    I have if this counts. I didn't overhaul the whole thing, but I dropped in black screws, black speed knobs, a frankenstein neckplate, dunlop straplocks, and bartolini 8s pups to make my squire-p a little nicer. I was going to swap the bridge and tuners but I put the money towards a new bass.

basspic2.jpg

6. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Linkoping, Sweden
    as we speak I'm pimping or refinishing my cheapo cort.... badassII, Emg p/j pickups..... And hand painted in a bunch of wierd colours..... pics soon to come

7. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Cool. That's the exact same bass (color and all) that I have. A Badass and some new tuners would really set it off!

8. Alan 342

Alan 342

Apr 3, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks. Yeah I'm still tempted, but my next purchase has got to be a mic. I got this bass about 7 years ago and didn't do any work on it until this year. I just recently upgraded to a BCR Heritage Classic Mockingbird.. but I have to admit I still like to play the Squire from time to time. It's so light, and it's very familiar to me. I may do more with it in a few months.

9. Well,......the cheaper the bass the more room for improvement so I would only expect lower end basses to be all modded out. I doubt there are too many frankenstein Sadowski's out there. :eyebrow:

Here's my pimped out MIM Pbass Special.

Attached Files:

• 022w.JPG
      022w.JPG
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  10. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    This was a Squier P-Bass Special. Replaced everything except the body and the pickguard: Allparts jazz neck, gotoh bridge, schaller tuners, EMG pickups, pots, wiring harness, Switchcraft jack. It was my main player for a while, but I am frustrated because it is so heavy now I think it needs a new body, too. :p

[​IMG]

Beware the Frankenbass, I say. I have probably close to $800 in that bass and it has no resale value at all. I guess I learned a lot putting it together, but at the end of the day, I might as well have gotten a MIA Precision Special if I wanted a P+J with a jazz neck.

11. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    I have a cheapie MIM Fender P-bass that I had added a kahler tremolo bridge to, and routed out a jazz bass pickup hole to put a PJ set of EMG Selects in and also added a 3-way pickup selector.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I had a fretless Peavey Foundation. I epoxied the fingerboard, stripped the finish, put on a flame mahogany top, an oil finish, a Badass, and Bartonlini Js. I wish I still had that bass.

13. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    VERY nice!

14. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    I have an ESP B-104 that I defretted, added a third soap in the middle, and soon a U-Retro pre. It’s my first bass and still my fav.

15. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I just put $210 of pickups into a $250 (ebay price) Peavey Foundation

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4250774&postcount=76

I love the way it plays and sounds and have plans for some ultralight tuners and a preamp someday.

I just got an OLP for $115 and a new bridge is on the way. My MIM jazz has Barts and a shaved neck. I mess with the more expensive stuff too, I just like tweaking.

16. I scored a "used yet new" MIM Jazz with one 1 mm ding on the back of the body that I was able to haggle down to $235 - even with my upgrading the pups with Bassline SJB-2 hots, the bridge with a Gotoh 201 and Dunlop StrapLoks, and the pickguard with a white pearloid it's still less than a new one would have cost me, I gained valuable experience in modifications, and now have a great passive bass for the times when "that sound" is called for. Now just a Hipshot Bass Xtender and I'll be set. :D

17. duba

duba

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    I've bought my Harmony P-style almost for free. It went right away to the surgery table:
    - I've replaced it's pickup to Bartolini 8CBP Vintage bass pickups.
    - Replaced all pots and completely rewired it's electronics.
    - Replaced the nut and the hardware(knobs screws etc).
    - Added a cavity for easy truss rod screw access.
    - Soon enough I'll finish my pimpin' by replacing it's horrible bridge with BADASS

This bass is tuned BEAD and sounds like heaven.

Will post some pics when I'll done

18. BassistJonathan

BassistJonathan

Dec 23, 2006
    Currently in the middle of pimping p-bass made from parts. Can only do it in steps due funds lol. So far Ive just got some quarter pounders on. Ive ordered my paints for a new metallic paint job and black sratchplate. Also planning on
    - Badass bridge
    - Schaller tuners
    - Possible Hipshot drop D
    Ill post pictures when Im done as its a bit pointless doing i now since at the moment its not even painted.

19. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    later on once i get a new bass my GSR200FM will be my project bass.. new finish, replace the pickups, defret, epoxy et cetera, change the tuners and the bridge.. just for ***** and giggles.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021