Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever play a Typ A bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HamOnTheCob, Jan 26, 2005.

1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Anyone ever play a Typ A bass? I found their website several months ago when I was doing some recon about custom basses. It just now dawned on me to ask you guys about them.

They look sweet, and the sound clips the guy sent me sounded fantastic. I was just wondering if anyone has ever played one of these? If they play as good as they sound, they're a sure bargain at $2500. And you only need a $500 deposit to get one started. What do you guys think?

http://typ-a.com/

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'd never buy a $2500 product from a company that didn't have the courtesy to tell me where they even are. Contact info limited to an email address? Get real folks, yeah this is the internet age, but I want to know where you are and how to reach you...not some email addy.

3. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I took the long, laborious step of e-mailing them and got all the info I needed.

Try it some time.

4. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    IMO, shouldn't have to email a company to find out where they are. Whatever floats your boat. I'm old school. Its a matter of trust.

5. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Beautiful bass, never heard of them, but still, wow!

I can kind of see why someone would be hesitant to put an address online, it's easier to filter out internet BS that way. Then again, that's what P.O. boxes and dedicated phone lines are for if it's a business run out of someone's home...

6. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    There are plenty of companies I deal with and have no clue where they are located. I've used EMG and Duncan pickups, Boss and Ibanez pedals, SWR amps and cabs, Peavey amps, Ibanez basses... I don't know where any of these companies are located, and could really care less. The products speak for themselves.

The WEBSITE is ONLINE, which means that E-MAIL is a reasonable contact method!!! If you can't drop someone an e-mail and say "Hey I'd like to know more about your company" then I think the problem is on your end, not the company's.

Typ A is in Northeast Alabama, by the way.

7. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
  8. Nice looking bass, but why are the pickups sooo close together?

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's what I thought, unusually tight pup spacing... but they sure look cool. I;ve never even heard of this company, did you try Googling them?

10. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    "The WEBSITE is ONLINE, which means that E-MAIL is a reasonable contact method!!! If you can't drop someone an e-mail and say "Hey I'd like to know more about your company" then I think the problem is on your end, not the company's."

Reasonability is up to the individual, and my opinions about what is reasonable are exactly that. If you read my post, I indicated I wouldn't buy the product, based on how they market. I said nothing about not being able to seek out more info on the company.

"Anyone else?"

No need to get hissy. You have your opinions and I have mine.

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I don't know how they sound/play, but the one that's featured on the website is sure pretty :) Their prices seem really reasonable too - though I don't quite understand how they seem to be charging a standard price for all their instruments...

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I almost spewed coffee all over my monitor when I read this on the site:

On the "Upcoming Instruments" page.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never had the opportunity to play one or see one in person, but I have actually heard of them before. Nice looking basses, I would be interested in more info on them as well.

14. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Sorry for getting snippy, I don't want to seem like a jerk. It just bothered me that something as little as the website not having a lot of contact info would prevent you from even giving them a chance. Maybe he just never thought to put it on? Maybe he had it on there and got junk mail all the time? Maybe it's supposed to be there and just isn't?

When I first found his site, I e-mailed and asked several questions and he took great care in addressing every single question thoroughly and directly. He made it very obvious that he was big on personal relationships, and I think that's one of the reasons for the minimal info on the web page (if it was left off on purpose). He seems content only dealing with the people who care enough or are interested enough to take the step to e-mail and ask questions. I personally like that about the guy and about his work. No hard feelings man.

----

Yeah I don't know how all their instruments are the same price either, but maybe he figures he puts the same amount of time and effort into them all? I'm sure his prices fluctuate here and there. For instance, he told me if I went for some more basic options, I could get a 5er for around $2100. He also said that with various expensive options I could be up into the $3500 range. One of these days when I have some disposable income, I'll have one of his basses built for sure. But of course that might have to wait until I have a Hambone Fairlane. :)

15. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    LOL me too when I first found the site, but for me it was Mt. Dew.

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The site is porrly managed and designed, and somewhat annoying, but the bass appear to be of good quality. I do think they are fugly however... unless they had my dream tone I wouldn't consider it.

17. That bass is georgous... seriously... :)

18. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Puarija, we're cool...they are interesting looking basses. I don't want my comments to sound like an attack..it isn't for sure. It's just that I'm just an old f*rt and am used to totally different sales methods. Wen I don't see a phone # and address, I immediately wonder why...and that kind of forms suspicions. Maybe folks like me need to be more adaptable to change!

19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    LoL Nah, there's something great about older people who are stuck in their ways. It gives some perspective on the constantly-changing trends and fads. If not for stubborn older folks like my grandparents, I wouldn't have grown up with the values that I have, and I appreciate the way they were. I wish I would've had their outlook through the 80s and early-mid 90s! LoL unfortunately at one time or another, I had a mullet, a rat tail, a "bowl" cut, wore MC Hammer pants, the cheesy shoes with the pumps in the tongues, and a hundred other things I'm embarrassed about today. :)

Anyway, Mr. Player at Typ A is one of the older folks I am speaking of. He has a firm belief in quality and trust, and I hope he gets a little more info on his site, because he really does deserve some attention.

Is "pleking" common? It's a radiusing process that he uses to radius his fretboards. It might be common knowledge, though I never heard of it before talking to him.

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Funny post. Never had the parachute pants myself, but your story's a bit too familiar.

I don't know how many luthiers "Plek" their fretboards, but here's the website.