Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever play/own a modulus gvj4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i was just flipping through a modulus catalog and i came across this bass.

i noticed that it appears to have a maple neck with a large graphite rod in the back to keep the neck stable. i've found that i dont really like the tone and feel of graphite necks (im selling a flea bass) but i love how straight they are....so i figure that this bass would be a good compromise?

im looking for a bass with a nice thick tone, would this fit the bill? can anyone comment on the sound & construction as well?

2. Basho

Basho Guest

This is the Modulus Vintage J? My local music store has two of them, four-string and five, and I've played on them a little. I kind of liked them, I don't remember much about them. You'll have to forgive me, I spend most of my time on the fretlesses or the Warwicks.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah the modulus vintage J. i cant seem to find much about it...so it must not be that popular. anyone else have any comments about this bass?

4. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    I played one, it was pretty nice as i recall, but i did not really like it that much since i was trying to get away from the passive jazz bass style tone.

As for it itself, construction was perfect, as was playability and feel, but the tone was not what i wanted. Hope this helps

5. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    I have a Modulus VJ4, and I really love it. There aren't any dead spots or fret buzz and the Bartolini pickups make it sound incredible, even without being active. I personally like the carbon fiber neck, but I'm sure a wood one with a graphite rod would be a good compromise if carbon fiber isn't what you're looking for.