1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone ever play/own a modulus gvj4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i was just flipping through a modulus catalog and i came across this bass.

i noticed that it appears to have a maple neck with a large graphite rod in the back to keep the neck stable. i've found that i dont really like the tone and feel of graphite necks (im selling a flea bass) but i love how straight they are....so i figure that this bass would be a good compromise?

im looking for a bass with a nice thick tone, would this fit the bill? can anyone comment on the sound & construction as well?

2. Basho

Basho Guest

This is the Modulus Vintage J? My local music store has two of them, four-string and five, and I've played on them a little. I kind of liked them, I don't remember much about them. You'll have to forgive me, I spend most of my time on the fretlesses or the Warwicks.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah the modulus vintage J. i cant seem to find much about it...so it must not be that popular. anyone else have any comments about this bass?

4. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    I played one, it was pretty nice as i recall, but i did not really like it that much since i was trying to get away from the passive jazz bass style tone.

As for it itself, construction was perfect, as was playability and feel, but the tone was not what i wanted. Hope this helps

5. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    I have a Modulus VJ4, and I really love it. There aren't any dead spots or fret buzz and the Bartolini pickups make it sound incredible, even without being active. I personally like the carbon fiber neck, but I'm sure a wood one with a graphite rod would be a good compromise if carbon fiber isn't what you're looking for.