Anyone ever play the Whisky?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Has anyone here ever played at the Whisky in Hollywood? Did you like it? What's hot and whats not there? My band just landed our first show ever at the Whisky :hyper: :bassist: , but I've never been there, so I am curious as to how it sounded and how you guys felt about it.

Check us out at: Reticent

Unfortunately we can only keep 3 songs on there at a time. We just recorded our new demo. Listen to the song titled "Life in Heaven." That is one of our newest songs. I appologize for the quality, and lack of vocals, we are recording the vocals tomorrow. We did this demo for Bobby Kimball, singer of ToTo, who wants to record us and possibly bring us as an opener for ToTo, and he just wanted a copy of the songs to get an idea of how/where to record. If anyone knows of any free band sites where you can upload more than 3 songs, please let me know!
  2. Firstly...if you're doing this seriously, you need your own website, then you can upload as many songs as you want. (restricted only by the bandwidth allowed by what you pay for). allows you to upload 4 songs that play automatically.

How many presale tickets do you need to sell? The Whisky is awesome, and something you will remember for the rest of your life,'s the freakin' Whisky. But, they are a tad full of their own self-importance. In terms of building a fanbase, no...not really. Most of the show-goers are either scenesters (those who go to notable places just to be seen) or tourists vibing off The Doors nostalgia. The show should rock nonetheless. They tend to rape bands with presale ticket obligations, and they will want their money. It's Pay-to-Play there. They make local or independent touring bands work to bring a crowd or pay outright for the chance to play there. If you got a flat rate to play with no presale obligations, you're doing just fine.

If you have fans that would kill to see you, presales is no big deal. It's hard work, and you find out really quick who your real fans/friends are. It's a great measuring stick of your popularity as a band.

Whatever you do, hang from a lamppost and shout 'I am the Lizard King'. That's irreverent, hip, witty, and so punk rock. :D
  3. That last part is a great idea ;) :p! Anyways, we are going down tomorrow to pick up tickets and such, I believe since it is a weekday (Thursday) that we will have to presale 50 tickets, which will be no biggie since everyone we know will be there, plus some, since we have that following Friday off due to Good Friday, so it's just as good as playing a Friday night! Thanks for the advice, but what is the cheapest way to go about that, since we don't have oodles of money? Did you check out the song that we posted on Purevolume?
  4. Sorry, man, didn't check out the song, I hit up TB from work on breaks, but can't go blasting songs here.

Only other advice: set a goal to have your presales sold at least 2 weeks in advance. You will find that your bandmates will procrastinate. You have to work hard to do presales.

As far as websites go...we got our domain registered and our webservice through, which is pretty cheap. That only reserves your site URL (ours is, and gave us 1 year of service.) I designed our website by myself, with plenty of advice...and theft of ideas...from friends and people here. There are templates for websites that you can buy which are already cool looking, all you have to add is the content (pictures, songs, bio, calendar, etc.) go to to check some out...they're pretty cheap and save a ton of time. Granted, it's not 100% original, but it's professional, tested, and works for your purposes.

There's a thread in Band Management & Performance (I think) called Cool Band Websites, which has sites that people on here have designed or like alot...good research.

I definitely suggest getting a Music page. I like that you can browse people in your area (by zip code) and just start fishing for people. It's just like hitting the streets shouting your name, but we've had a lot of success with it. Check out what we did in less than a month:

Have fun!

Ps. If you didn't get the Lizard King reference, rent 'The Doors' with Val Kilmer. They basically created the Whisky mistique.
  5. That's pretty sweet! Little change of plans though. So I spoke to the owner of the Whisky, who also happens to own the Roxy, so he never was really clear which one we were going to be playing at, so today we found out it is the Roxy. What do you guys think of that place? We went in it today and it seemed pretty awesome. We go on at 9:00pm following 2 opening acts, then us, then the headliner. This was great news to us since we have never played live before or given them our demo to hear.
  6. I played there last March (different band). I like the room better, and they have a real loading dock in the back. The parking lot is also more convenient for load-in and out. If you get there early enough, you can park right behind the theatre. The Whisky parking lot is about a block away and around the corner, so it's a real pain to haul your gear that far.

Really, it's kind of a fun opportunity to be able to play at either place. Just make sure to have fun!

Here's pics from the Roxy gig:
  7. Yeah, we noticed that stuff when we walked around the theater. Thanks for the pics, they look fricken amazing. We are all stoked out of our minds to be able to play there for our first show ever. Also, if you guys are in the area come and check us out, it's going to be insane :bassist:.
  8. My first show was at an Elks Lodge in Flagstaff, December...during a snowstorm...

Now you're playing the frickin' Roxy...

you suck.

have fun.

ya bastard.

9. Thanks man. Trust me, we have no idea how we pulled it off either. But, could be from the 2+ years of practicing without any performances.
  10. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I've played at both.

Personally, I like the layout of the Roxy better as far as logistics go, but the sound at the Whiskey was awesome every time I played it with my last band.

Just a hint, Make SURE you get an adequate sound check (typically for Hollywood shows this happens during the day before the show) and that you have someone you trust stand out and listen to the band until you are happy.

One show I played at the Roxy (our first there) was extremely disappointing, as our sound check was rushed and when we played the show, our stage volume was so low that we were actually hearing our sound reflecting off of the back wall. This made everything seem flat, and the band feel "loose".

That said, as long as you run the right sound check and get everything dialed, the Roxy is a sweet place to play.

Keep working on the Whiskey won't be disappointed!
  11. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

I like the Roxy better then the Whiskey. It is easier to park, load gear, and the sound is about the same. Been to plenty of shows at both.

Something you guys should note about the LA music scene though... Back in the day you had to be a "good" band to get a spot at the Whiskey or the Roxy. It was actually a big deal to play at either place. Now, however, the LA scene is all about Pay to play. Wanna play the Whiskey? Great, they need you to buy X number of tickets- they don't care if you re-sell them or not.

I don't mean to slight the orgnial poster- the Roxy and Whiskey are performance halls first and bars second. Getting a gig at any of those places is fun. But it doesn't involve a lot of hard work or practice- It just involves paying money up front.
  12. Hey, I know exactly what you're saying. We just always held those venues as really hard placed to play at. We never knew it was so easy, but I know what you mean about the prestige they used to have. We are just happy that our 2+ years of practicing w/o a performance has finally paid off in a nice way.
  13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I used to play there and the Roxy all the time in the late 80's early 90's. When there was actually a scene that people went out to see. As soon as Gazzarri's went down that's when the music scene completely did a turn.

The sound at the Whiskey is incredible(at least it used to be). Make sure your on time for your sound check so you get a good one. The Roxy layout is cooler, but the sound lacks. We only had to do pay-to-play the first time we played there, we drew about 200 people just through walk up they decided we didn't have to sell tickets anymore. I miss those days.

Good luck. :smug:
  14. Hey what's up. Yeah we played the Whisky last week for a Battle of the Bands. USC vs. UCLA. The show was fun and the sound was pretty decent. Unfortunately, they only gave us a line check...not a full proper sound check with drums, which really sucked for our drummer.

All in all, it was a fun time but Pay to Play is for suckers!!! I do not recommend it. We ony did it becasue it was a Battle being judged by a few prominent industry folks.

Like firkinahsoul and MichaelScott said, there is no Hollywood "scene" anymore and you really don't need to be an incredibly tight sounding band....all you need is money. It's sad.

We're creating our own scene in the San Fernando Valley.
    You're all welcome to share a stage with us.

Attached Files: