Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever played a Lull P5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday that was for sale by Poman on TB (vintage white, tort guard and rosewood board). I've always wanted to try one but I don't know a whole lot about what I'll be getting, except that I love p basses (see tagline below!) and I'm hoping this one will be the bass Fender should have built. Anyone have any experience with one of these or any thoughts on the bass? Thanks!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've never played one, but I know it has a 35" scale. That inch makes a difference for some people. A Lull P5 is one of those basses that I would love to get when I have a few more dollars for music.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Never played one of these for too long, but when I did play one for a few minutes, no bad thoughts came to mind (but it was a jazz styled Lull), I guess thats a good thing? :p

You could also look into Sadowsky (not that much of a vintage tone to my ears but some may say otherwise), or a Celinder.

Thats why you sold the Lakie? To get more P Basses?

I think you're nuts but I'm happy I got myself the bass of my dreams :)

4. Oh Anthony relax! :D

Not to worry - I still have my Sherwood green/rosewood board 55-94 - I'm not giving up on Laklands!!! Just looking for a bit more old-school tone in a 5 and well, Fender doesn't do that very well IMO. I had a Roscoe Beck 5 for a while, and while it's a very nice bass it's no p bass that's for sure, and the B just didn't cut it for me. I'm looking forward to trying a passive fiver as well - the tonal options on the Lakie can almost be overwhelming!

So when is your bass arriving? My Lull P5 lands on Friday! :hyper:

5. Celinder also makes a 5 string P Bass that I've heard is massively awesome. I have a Celinder Jazz type bass and am very happy with it. So, check out the Celinder also.... Glenn at Austin Bass Traders carries both Celinder and Lull and will give you the straight scoop... he's a very honest dealer.

6. Sorry... I just noticed that you already bought the Lull... I'm sure it will be awesome... let us all know about it when it arrives :hyper:

7. KJung -thanks! If the Lull disappoints she won't be around for long at all! Some of my basses haven't lasted as long as a role of toilet paper - but heck, I'm all about the bottom end! :D

Seriously though, I keep forgetting about Celinder's and I've heard plaenty of great things about them as well, thanks for reminding me!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For awhile I owned a passive Lull P5 with PJ pickups. It had a rosewood neck, ash body, trans blue quilt maple top, and pearl white pickguard. Great bass all the way around. 35" scale doesn't bother me at all playing-wise, but I do think extra-long scale basses have a slightly different sound than standard 34".

Fit and finish on the Lull were outstanding. Compared to my Sadowsky P5: the Lull neck is slimmer front-to-back and string spacing is a smidge slimmer at nut and bridge, possibly because the Lull fingerboard edges are slightly rounder. Speaking of which, I sold the Lull and a couple other basses to finance the more expensive Sadowsky. The reasons I unloaded the Lull: appearance (the quilt top on the Lull was too pretty for a P-bass :p ), I prefer the slighly chunkier playability of Sadowsky basses.

Minor quibble with the Lull: the coils of the split-pup are "backwards"... the only effect of this is that the polepieces of the A string are on the treble coil rather than the bass coil. I'm sure nobody but me noticed, but even so, I noticed...!

All that said: in the grand scheme of things, the Lull and Sadowsky P5 basses are more alike than they are different. So, the Lull is definitely the better bargain. I think you'll enjoy yours... I saw the pics, it sure is a beauty! If I ever get another P5 (either maker), I'd like one in that exact config.

9. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I own two of them. Both with J pickups. In MY opinion it is the bass Fender should have made, except the Fender wouldn't be as good. I think you'll like it. At the very least, you will be very happy with the super solid quality even if its not your flavor.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Its arriving Friday too! (Well according to FedEx estimate),
    BTW, Celinders are supposed to be great basses, but he's not that good with deadlines I hear (according to a dealer friend of mine who used to sell em).

11. Thanks for the great comments Fuzzbass. If the quality of the Lull 5 is close to Sadowsky then that says a heck of a lot IMO. I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Sadowky P5 but I have owned no less than 4 Sadowsky J basses....the best playing and sounding was a Metro RV4 on oly white with a rosewood board and VTC, but the coolest was a sherwood green NYC w/matching headstock (ok, I like Sherwood green!)...but in the end I could never get the sound I wanted...come to think of it, I say that about every j-style bass I get. :ninja:

In any event, enjoy that Sadowsky P...if the Lull doesn't work out I'm running out of options and may have to go that route myself... :p

12. We'll both be getting a little less sleep Thursday night then!

13. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I own a Lull PJ-5 that I got in a trade.. Very nice bass, but it's too nice to be a back-up to my Celinder so it's going up for sale... I've owned a few Lulls and thought they were also excellent.. I've owned 5 Celinders and had ordered 3 of them from Chris.. They're fantastic basses and he is sometimes hard to deal with, but I believe Glenn from Austin Bass Traders has been having no problems with getting orders from Chris...