Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever played a Peavey T-40?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I own an old peavey t-40. i love it. you can get any sound from it. the only bad thing is the weight. it kills your back. it's solid and there is no scooped back. i'm looking for a new four string that will be a lot lighter. i really want a fender mim jazz bass (sunburst), probably used. any help would be great. i checked ebay but most of the jazz basses on there are american and not sunburst.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  4. T-40 was/is my first bass. It usually sits unused for about 90% of the time. I get it out when I want a different sound for something. Good, bright sound when you want it. Plus you can pick em up used for a great price. They'll prolly become valuable someday, but who cares :)

Good to hear some positive things. BTW, it may be heavy, but I have no probs holding it up 1-2 hours at a time. Guess I'm lucky.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It was my first bass. I still own it. Never play it and don't regret not playing it. The phase switch broke in the first week of ownership. The neck is incredibly unstable, warping at the slightest sign of light. The tone is thumpy with no real definition or punch. The bass is heavier than my Spector.

All in all, it's something I keep around only for posterity. I may never touch it again and wouldn't get enough money to warrant the cost of advertising it.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a T-40 when it first came out in the late 70's. Never had any issues with it, no stability issues, loved the out of phase setting (great for Fusion), it was heavy but I didn't know any better;). Tonally very flexible IMO.

Just saw a clean sunburst one in a pawnshop for $150... almost bought it but then figured I'd leave it for someone who needed a bass. I didn't.

7. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I saw one today in a local Music Go Round for $269.00. It's in okay condition, but at that price, I think he'll have it for a while.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    After my '65 P was stolen, I bought me a Peavey T-40 ... black. It actually had good tone, but left me with a bad back. I sold it to a driller, who still has it. Now he's getting old too, and probably will want to unload it.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to own one. First bass that I ever bought with my own money. Also one of the most versatile basses ever made as far as variety of tones. Also the 2nd heaviest bass I ever played, #1 was a butterscotch natural Gibson RD Artist.

Wish I still had the T-40. Some day, I will buy another one, if I ever get a house with enough room for everything I want.

Like Brad, I liked the phase switch, and never had any stability problems with mine.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought mine in 1979 when Fender quality was at an all time low and prices at a ridiculous high.

The early T-40s were heavy mothers but I thought they were great, faster neck than a 70s Fender, more useful tone combinations than a Fender and way cheaper ($275 with a hard case vs. $800 for a P-bass with case). It was just no contest.

You could always take the bass to a luthier and have the body contoured, you know. Late period T-40s had thinner bodies with contours.

12. Mine T-40 is one of the early ones, it was my uncle's when he played in a band. When I showed interest in playing bass, he told me I could have it. It is one of the solid ones, no contour or slimness to it. I love it though. It has a good vibe to it.

13. The first bass I ever owned was a T40. Always loved the sound, hated the weight. I gave it to my son several years ago and he still plays it. I asked for it back last year and instead of giving me my old one (he had refinished it) he found another at a pawn shop and gave that one to me for Father's day last year.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md