1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever put a P pickup in between on a J bas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robin Ruscio, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    So that you would have three pickups: JPJ.

Just curious if it worked out, I know Fender does a Stu Hamm model that does that.

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Just wait - someone will post a picture of one.

One thing I have found here at TB, if you can think of it, someone else thought of it before you and they built one and they have a picture of it!

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Tiran Porter of the Doobie Brothers did that way back in the mid 70's.

4. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I wonder whether putting the P pickup in could get me close to the sound of the p bass without needing another axe. I've always assumed the tonal difference between the J and P had more to do with the PU and it's placement then the minor differences in the body shape and neck.

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    YES..and Fender makes it. It is called the Stu Hamm model.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Make that a sticky!

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hahaha, in fact I've seen at leat two TBers with basses just so, one was reverse P.

8. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    As scottbass mentioned several have done it.
    There is an issue with placement though, in that the correct/standard P pickup location is directly on top of the jazz neck pickup. The P pickup half containing the E and A poles shares the same route edges (bass side & edge towards the neck) as the Jazz pickup.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its an interesting idea, but I wonder if having the pickups that close together would be detrimental. I know that the Stu Hamm has been an effective model, but I seem to remember a review in BassPlayer of a Mike Lull PJ where they said the J pickup had to be placed a little further towards the bridge because it interacted in a negative way with the Precision pickup.

10. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    as long as your routing you could fudge the neck J pickup closer to the neck for a closer to sweetspot overall placement for all the pickups

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    how about jazz bass pickups on a P :0 same thing basically i have seen that before

12. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm bumping this up because I still think about it.

My luth thought it might work but wondered about how they might interact.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Take at look at the Landing L3 - a very nice J P J in medium scale. I gotta try one.
    L32

14. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I should mention I'm only thinking of this as a mod to my Sadowsky J bass. Love the bass, just sometimes wish I could flip to a P pickup.

15. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Still considering this option. I really love the body of this bass put the P sound would really work on more and more gigs. I suppose I could convert the bass to P/J with a pick guard but wonder if routing out a P in between might do pretty well. I like the idea of having one go to bass for my vintage sounds, and would be really useful in cover bands that do diverse styles.

16. After a few years with an Urge bass, I'd just assume have a PJ bass and not be so cramped.

17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    how about adding a series/parallel switch? won't sound exactly like a p-bass but it'll add a good amount of "thump" to the overall sound.

edit - i've been wanting a 5-string with this pickup configuration for years, ever since i saw jason newsted's alembic elan 5.

18. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    don't do that. you will ruin a good bass, while adding a pickup that will probably not get you that P-sound...

first, I would consider split-coils in single-coil housing. Nordstrand, among others, makes them:
    nordstrand pickups > bass pickups

than, you can have a series-parallel switch on the neck pickup, so you can go from a "close to jazz" (parallel) sound, to a "close to P" (series) sound :)

no extra routing, just maybe an extra control plate to drill a hole for a switch (or a push-pull pot, for the no-drill solution)

I would assume that, while still not giving you the exact P-bass sound, it would bring you closer to it than sticking a P between the J's... and the mods would be reversible!

or, my favorite option: buy a relatively cheap P-bass (some old japanese version/copy), put some flats on it and enjoy it :)

19. I did it on a custom a few years back.
    It totally got in the way for slapping.

I will look for pictures

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    20 posts and not a single picture? We're slacking people.