Anyone Ever Rack their Walter Woods Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Has anybody ever put their Walter Woods in a rack case? I'm contemplating this idea because some loaded audience person almost dumped a Gin/Tonic on my amp a while back... :eek: I was able to deflect the staggering baffoon away from my rig, sheeeze. Anyway I really would like to keep it the way I have it but would like the option of racking it if need be. I'm thinking of a shallow effects case at least three rack spaces. For the the life of me, I don't see where the ears would mount on my Ultra. I guess on the side somewhere. I just thought maybe somebody has done this and had a picture or some pros/cons to doing this. Thanks if you have and info.
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The ears mount by removing the side panels and bolting on to the same holes as the side panels. Pros- what you mentioned, better protection. Cons- you have to carry around a full width rack.
  3. Thanks NMB
    I thought you might have some experiance with this. Yes, the whole idea was to have a tidy little rig to just pop out of my small mixer case I transport the amp in. I have been experimenting with a few deflector type shield to deflect anything wet. Walter told me the best thing to do is to turn it completely off on break that at least it would not short it out with the power off if someone came browsing on the stage and dumped something. I guess I can just bring my other rig if it ever looks like rain or it's a rip roarin' bar scene. It's amazing how many close calls I've had with spills over the years. If I have to goe through all the trouble of changing the sides for ears everytime I feel like racking it, I'll probably just pass on the idea. Thanks, you saved me a bunch of research. If I ever come up with a shield of sorts I'll post the idea. I also thought of just getting a plastic type toaster or printer cover to toss over the whole thing while it's off. I just may do that.
  4. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    How about velcroing it down to a pull-out rack shelf? after you get your sound set just slide it back into the rack.....instant protection. :D
  5. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    If you are interested when I got my Woods a couple of weeks ago, I had it sent with a set of rack brackets from Walter. As mentioned earlier they do replace the original sides of the amp. If you are interested as of a couple of weeks ago Walter did have them in stock ($50.00 per pair). He told me that once he ran out it could be a while before he got more of them in. I do not have my Woods in a rack, but I wanted to have the brackets just in case.
  6. Is it fairly painless to change the ears? I would assume just some screws.
  7. An inspiring idea.. thanks, it's in my think tank.
  8. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    It is a snap. Two screws on each side.
  9. Jay Craggs

Jay Craggs

Apr 6, 2004
    Hey -
    I got a set of rack ears for my amp from Walter Woods years ago - they just replace the side plates of the amp. Very easy to put on/off. Don't knowif he still offers them, but they work great.
  10. Why are you bringing the Woods to such low-class gigs? Leave it at home and bring the Peavey Mark IV...they like a drink now and then (laughing).