1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Anyone ever regretted selling their first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nuno.ka, Jun 17, 2007.

1. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Why am I getting the GAS of selling my first bass (fretless Yammy) to buy a Squier VM fretless?
    I can only raise the cash by selling my 16 year long companion :crying:
    Anyone ever regretted selling their first bass? Should I keep it no matter what?

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i had a shine that i sold. wish i never did. my first bass. if i'd kept it i'd like to have defretted it or something.

worst thing is i sold it to my guitarist who gutted it and tried to put the preamp in his guitar. maybe one day i'll buy whats left off him and do it up.

3. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    a bit. it was nothing special a red epiphone p bass. i'd like to play it again to know if it was actually any good. cause when i had it i didn't really know what was good and what wasnt'

4. Amaru

Amaru

Jun 16, 2007
    New Glarus, WI
    The only reason I regret it is because now I have no jazz bass. But since you're selling a fretless for a fretless, it shouldn't matter. Not unless you're the sentimental type. :)

5. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    yes, i regret selling my first bass a bit. (a honer fretless steinberger copy, with an ebony board.) but on the other hand, i really needed cash for a new amp so it was a necessary sacrifice.

6. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Texas
    No. It was a Mexican P bass. A real piece of crap. Good riddance.

7. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I can't honestly say that I regret giving up my first bass.

I was a guitarist, and wanted to also play bass. I looked around for years for a (left handed) Fender Mustang bass because I thought it would be easy for me to switch between bass and guitar, due to the Mustang's short scale.

When I finally got one, I quit playing guitar altogether. I joined a band that downtuned a half step, which made my bass's strings feel very loose and rubbery, and not sound good. I wasn't too pleased with it.

Eventually, I traded the Mustang to a shop straight up for a Warwick Corvette Std. 5er, so I don't really miss it too much.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    The first one ? No. The second one ? Yes, a lot (it was a '77 RIC 4001).

9. No clue, I still have my first bass. It's not going anywhere.

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1

My first bass was a red Fender Bullet that I don't regret selling for a second....it was my second bass, the black Guild Pilot that I regret selling.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My first bass was a '78 Precision.(not counting the 70's vintage plywood, mail order catalog short scale bass that I had very briefly before the P) Don't regret selling that one at all. It was in fantasic shape, and I owned it for a good number of years, and was my only bass for a long time, but the one that replaced it, totaly blows it away. My second bass you will have to pry out of my cold dead hands. That one isn't going anywhere EVER!

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No, because my first bass was stolen. :( But my first instrument was an Ibanez Studio set-neck, twin-humbucker electric guitar, which I got new for my birthday in 1981. I tried to sell it for awhile in '05-'06, but it had no takers. It thereafter ended up on stage several times with my last band, because one of our guitarists lacked a stage-worthy axe for awhile. It held its own, so I think the fates are telling me to keep it. I've decided my daughters can start on it. That's only fair, as I started on my dad's 1940's Gibson L-5 archtop. :D

Since I resumed playing in 2002, I've sold four basses, and only regret dumping a 1994 MIJ Precision.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Do I ever! :crying: It was a refinished '66 Fender Precision Bass that I bought in 1976 for a mere $300. Natural ash finish with maple neck and rosewood board, all original hardware and pickup.

I could string it with half-rounds or with flats for an authentic reggae or blues vibe. Or put on a brand new set of rounds for a great rock tone that would rival any Rickenbacker for clarity, but with the guts and girth of a real P-bass. It played like buttah, and had sustain like you wouldn't believe...

So why did I sell it? One dreaded word: GAS. I wanted a change, didn't have the cash for two basses - and simply didn't realize what a treasure I already owned. I actually thought that most basses sounded and played that good. Well, they don't...

It was the most costly noob mistake I'd ever made. Oh well, c'est la vie... :oops:

MM

14. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ask yourself how sentimental of a indvidual you are.
    Do you enjoy nostalgia ?

I miss mine.
    Of course, that was about 40 years ago now.
    Nothing special, just the fact it was my first..........

15. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Yeah, I had a Gibson EB0. I bought used around '74. Probably worth $1200 if I still had it. But it wouldn't get played much...

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Yes, it was a Univox copy of a Rickenbacker. I sold it because it looked wierd, wasn't a Fender, and conveniently, the guy I sold it to had a Fender knock-off for sale. Didn't know enough to realize it was a knock-off until a year later or so, and then I had an SR800.

I miss that Univox. Later found out the guy bought a Rick logo somewhere and sold it as the real deal to another bassist in town. One of these days I oughta look him up and see if he'll part with it...

17. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    About the same story here, but I don't miss it one bit.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Never sold it ('63 precision), no regrets needed.

19. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Still own my old Fender Musicmaster. For my second bass, I wish I would have bought the beat up '68 Jazz Bass for $300 instead of the minty '82 Kramer for $300.

20. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't think that I'd recommend selling an instrument that you've had for 16 years. That seems like a lot of sentiment to set aside. Besides that, an RBX200f is a decent enough little bass and to the best of my knowledge Yamaha is not making a fretless in anywhere near that price range these days, I'd keep it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021