anyone ever run ashdown heads and swr cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 16, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im curious if anyone has ever run this setup. it seems to me, and i could be wrong, that ashdowns are low end hogs. nto to say that they dont have good mids and highs, but i think the lows are much stronger. and most of the swr cabs ive played through seem extreamly punchy. so i was curious if anyone had ever run ashdown into swr and maybe they would even each other out.

if im wrong on this at all, the amp or the cabs, help me out. thanks.
  2. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Tried a Ashdown head with a SWR Goliath II a few years ago, I think the Ashdowns fat sound and the SWR more hi-fi like sound was a good match
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thats what i was thinking. i mean considering what i think about the two is true. but it seems reasonable. ill have to go find out for myself i guess. thanks.
  4. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001

I use an Ashdown ABM500RC head with an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 and SWR SOB 1x15 cabs.
    Your prediction on the tone is pretty good. The Ashdown contributes a very full-bodied tone with a heavy vintage aspect to it when the grind is blended more strongly. The SWR cabs have a more modern edge with some zing and punch (I know, sounds like a bad Batman episode!) that helps sort of refine the sound a bit.
    It is a good combination, but I will admit to pining for a bit of a downsizing, so I am considering unloading the rig... perhaps a more compact Ashdown offering or an EA iAmp 800 combo. Dunno.
    But SWR and Ashdown do sound great together...

5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    holy rusted speaker grills james,
    thanks for the info. i thought so but then i couldnt be sure. i am considering getting some swr 4x10's. just two and go with that for a long time. but thanks for the help. take care.
  6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    agreed w/ everything said.

big thumbs up on asdown abm500 + 2 swr jr.s
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks cap. youve been pm'd by the way.