Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever saw this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord_Matt, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Lord_Matt

Lord_Matt

Mar 30, 2002
    Malta
    hi, i've just bought this new baby... it's a fender p-bass with p and j pickups, having controls for volume, tone, pickup switching and tone (i think)...

Anyone knows what kind of p-bass it is??

c ya

2. Lord_Matt

Lord_Matt

Mar 30, 2002
    Malta
  3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    all i can say is that it's a deja vu... i can't remember but i have senn that bass. i love the way it looks!

4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Judged by the shape of the pickguard, it seems like some sort of reissue of the 1st or 2nd generation P-bass, obviously modified. These were produced from 1954 to 1957, and very much resembles the Telecaster bass. It looks a bit like the Sting Signature model, but the electronic looks more like Stu Hamms Urge bass... Yeah, I know, not of much use! Sorry... :)

Actually, it looks very much like the '56 Custom Precision Bass, take a look here: http://satzone.com/fender/

The only difference is the missing metal plate and the rubber knobs.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It was a P bass Special or Deluxe that was made in the early 90's. It's a Mexican made bass & it's pretty nice. I haven't seen one in person for a few years. From what I remember, they were really nice basses for the money. Congrats

6. Actually,it looks like kinda like a JP-90. They made them in the late 80's/early 90's an I think they were Japanese. I have a Jazz Bass Special(fretless) and it's not one of those as mentioned earlier. Specials didn't have pickguards and the bodies are full-sized Pbass style and your's appears to be a downsized body. Also Specials have black headstocks. Too bad you can't see the headstock in the pics. It should tell you there what it is. It looks cool. Good luck.

7. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Maybe the serial number may help find out what it is?

8. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I gotta hand it to you, Nino-Brown... you're 100% right! This is a Mexican Fender P-bass Special, manufactured only from 1994 to 1997. You can read a review over at Bass Review here:
    http://www.bgra.net/reviews/fender--mexican--p-bass-special-1996-1-rvw.html

This gives my soul some peace now.... been thinking about this all night, wondering why I couldn't find out what bass it was!

9. Lord_Matt

Lord_Matt

Mar 30, 2002
    Malta
    thanks for your help, the description in that site is quite close to mine... i've uploaded some more picture for you to see better. It was made in Mexico and has a small body, but the headstock is of the size of a normal fender bass.

The serial number is MN 419822

10. Lord_Matt

Lord_Matt

Mar 30, 2002
    Malta
  11. Lord_Matt

Lord_Matt

Mar 30, 2002
    Malta