1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever slapped on regular Evahs?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by PlayItAway, May 15, 2018.

1. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Hey all,

I'm getting a set of regular Evah Pirazzis on one of my basses soon - I mainly play other styles such as jazz, folk, classical, all sorts of things... There are times when I do slap, though, and I want to make sure I won't tire myself out too too much.

Right now my bass has regular-gauge Spirocores on it, and I don't really have any problems doing it. I tend to slap very hard, so the tension doesn't bother me that much, but I want to know what all your experiences have been, if you've ever tried slapping on regular Evahs.

Thanks!

2. If your setup is good and the strings heights are low you won’t die, but you may want to.

EP Orchs are about as stiff as Spiro Starks.

geoffbassist likes this.
  3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I think you might like the Weichs more. They are still plenty stiff, but the Evah Orchs are just bridge cables.

geoffbassist likes this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    You can hear Evah Pirazzi Weichs being slapped in this video.

- Steve

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  5. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Reqular E / weich ADG might be overall better balanced ( Pirastro tends to make their sets with lesser tension on the E ) and more slappable set.

6. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    my setup is evah E/A and red-o-ray D/G I slap a ton and love them! tried the weichs and they were too flubby for me. had wrapped gut E/A but switched because i broke 2 A strings inbetween the bridge and tailpiece where there is no wrapping. glad i made the switch!