1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever stripped an Aerodyne?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fetusyolk, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i like the idea of aerodynes. PJ fender, with simple electronics.. no fret markers... beauty. i'm just NOT digging the stealth look. anyone ever stripped an aerodyne and gone with the natural look?

i'm VERY interested in what this would look like.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    They are made of basswood, not known for much figuring in the wood. Even if the pieces matched, would most likely look kinda bland.

3. +1

I'm tired of black guitars, and aside from the custom finishes from Japan, black is all I've seen in the Aerodyne stateside. I'd want to strip one down and paint it.

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I don't imagine the basswood body would look all that pretty. The grain may not match very well either, since no Aerodyne I've ever seen has been a natural finish they probably don't worry about it that much, but you never know till you see it.

It would be cool to paint one a different color, though I think the black with cream binding looks cool as it is. Now if you finished it in a different color and still had binding, that could look really cool.

5. Exactly. And you gotta keep the matching headstock.

6. Rhomco

Rhomco Commercial User

Sep 14, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    Owner Operator: Rhomco Guitars
    I was just thinking the same thing while driving to work this morning. I am a custom finisher/builder on the side. I really like the bass but i'm getting tired of the black look. I have the matching strat as well. I suspect the wood underneath would not be pretty but.... one never knows. I think the aerodyne would look good in surf green with a bare or matching headstock and a suitable decal. Humm

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I'm gassing for an Aerodyne at the moment - and as cool as the flat black looks - I agree with others that a different color or woodgrain would look pretty amazing.

Has anyone gone through with this? If you use heat to remove the paint+lacquer - does the binding come off also? Is it a glued on plastic binding, or is it a poured epoxy binding that is later routed to shape?

Warmoth has this beautiful body available, but it's out of my budget and doesn't have the PJ configuration I'm after.

[​IMG]

8. Respraying to a different color would be the easiest, but I don't think the wood lends itself to a natural finish. Respraying a body with binding presents some problems for the novice painter.
    Rocky

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Thanks Rocky.

I have a friend who is exceptional with woodwork, stain and paint - though not a luthier. I was thinking to strip the coating and see if he couldn't apply a flamed veneer or something, but I guess that would require doing the binding all over again?

I like the look of the flamed maple Aerodyne Precisions, but don't like any of the stock colors (amber red or blue) and also prefer a Jazz body. Trying to find the best way to a middle ground.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sell the bass, buy something closer to what you want.

Always the best advice, but especially here.

Refinishing a bound polyurethane body is going to be way more risk and hassle than it's worth and it's going to greatly devalue the instrument, even if you don't wreck it in the process. It's a no-win situation.

I was just reading an article on stripping polyurethane bodies by my old netpal, Dan Erlewine, and it was pretty depressing. I was thinking about bookmarking it and linking it to these kind of threads to discourage people from undertaking this futility.

Polyurethane bodies are not "meant" to be refinished.

11. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    This. Especially if it would be your first strip and refinish job, seems like a lot of risk. How much does that warmoth body cost? That does look super sexy.

IF you still wanted to go the route of refinishing an aerodyne, I would probably suggest getting your hands on a few cheap poly finished guitars just to get a feel for stripping. There is a slight learning curve and your first attempt will likely be far from perfect. My first strip and refinish job (a black p-bass stripped to natural, then clear coated with no dye) looks like a burn victim on the back.

12. If you must change the finish, do not strip, respray on top of the poly finish. Best advise, leave it alone. Sell it and get what you want.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I would die if that was a PJ body. Holy awesomeness.

14. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Follow warmoth s RSS feeds.

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I respect you bongolation, so please know I'm not calling you out, but I wouldn't mind a link to that article. They are a bit of a pain to refinish, but so is nearly any finish compared to an oil finish or nitro. Polyester is even more of a pain, but all that said, it's entirely doable. The biggest pain will be dealing with the binding when stripping and refinishing. The basswood as said above, will be pretty bland, but some people like that. I would advise against a veneer if someone brought this to me, because the amount of work to veneer it would outweigh just building a new body from scratch. Despite the drawbacks, with enough time and money, nearly anything is possible...

16. What about a vinyl wrap?

17. the walrus

the walrus

May 21, 2011
    I'm saving up for an aerodyne to and I think it would kind of look cool to strip the bass

18. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Thinking about it some more, it would probably be easier to start with a cheapo Jazz/PJ body, sculpt/arch the body to the shape I like, lay on the veneer of my choosing - and then do the binding last.

I know everything gets sealed under the clear, but I'm curious about whether the binding goes on after the stain/paint, or before? Is it typically done with an epoxy and rounded to shape, or with an actual band of material that is bonded to the body?

That Warmoth body is "on special" for $520. Out of my price range, to be sure, and not the finish I'd want - as beautiful as it is.

19. I wouldn't strip it. I've seen an Aerodyne jazz body stripped and it wasn't pretty. Multiple pieces of wood that didn't match, not even close. Best option would be to buy a replacement body and store the original. So then if you changed your mind down the road sometime, you could pull out the original body and put the bass back together. If you strip and repaint it, you're going to be killing any kind of resale value you might have, even if it's a good job, and even if you think you'll never sell it. We all say that at one point or another. :)