Anyone ever tried a Moses "Key Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 6, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been spending quite a bit of time on Moses Graphite's website due to my current fretless Jazz project, and happened across Steve's entry in the travel bass market again:

Has anyone here ever played one? Perhaps at NAMM? What's it like?
  2. amcginty

Jun 24, 2010
    I bought a Moses Key Bass from Ed Romane in Las Vegas about 8 years ago. I travel a lot and I wanted a bass that would easily fit in the overhead and still be a 35" 5 string. I had been using one of the cheeper Steinbugers it was ok but I wanted a top end axx with great sound. The Moses does it all. Mine has Lace pickups in it custom made for that bass and a nice meaty 35" scale neck. The turners are ABM and are very percise and never need tuning. This bass has seen a lot of miles and I have never had any trouble with it. Sometimes you have to tighten the body rails but locktite helps to hold them tight. Steve has allways been great to work with he has helped me with other projects. The only slight complaint is that sometimes when I'm holding the bass in my lap I sometimes bump the volumne knob because of it's location. This is not a problem when standing you just need to be aware that this can happen and it is not the bass shutting down. This bass was a great find for me I like the beefer neck and I love the sound its is very versitale. and everyone loves the way it looks. If you like the neck and the sound and the look then you have got no problems. I love mine
    Good Luck
  3. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    I own one ,purchased it used from a guy in Chicago ,mine has a diamondwood (graphite impregnated wood ) fretboard , according to Steve (Moses) only a few of these were done all in all no more than 30 or 40 of these have ever been built Its got lace sensor p/u's ..this is without a doubt one of the best sounding basses I've ever played in 37 years of playing , ive owned lots of boutique stuff ,the bass has the attack of an electric w/ the thick warmth of an upright