Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever tried a Sure BETA 52 on their bass amp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by addylewis, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Just I was thinking of getting one - any opinions/advice on 'em would be great :bassist:

2. i haven't actually used this on bass, BUT... as a kick mic it provides a great low, tight punchy modern kick tone... so i'm guessing it will probably be pretty good on bass.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i've used it on bass before with good results.
    its' frequency response is tailored to have a slight dip at around 400hz, it comes off kind of"smooth"in the mids imo.
    cheers
    d

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My thoughts exactly. If it's a little toooo smooth, usa a SM57 as well. Between the two of them, you should be able to get a nice blend.

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I find you can't get your lows through unless you DI. I usually do DI for my lows, but then I put a Beta 57 near one of my 10s/tweeters to pick up the mids and highs for articulation.

6. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    +1 here, this is exactly ehat I use.... the Beta 52 an SM57 and a DI (either from the head or a SansAmp)

usually I can get something very nice blending the three...

Also used the Beta 52 on Gitt-tarz with good results.

SM

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've been happy with the lows from a sennheiser MD421, strong mids too.

8. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah, i usually like the mix of a 57 either right directly on a 10" or just a little bit back to get both the 10" and tweeter in addition to the DI, nice tight bottom end and usually nice warm mids/highs :bassist:
    i also like to double mic guitar cabs as well, with one mic on and the other off-axis.