Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever tried an ashly DBX-200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Aug 3, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    It is the parametric eq and compressor combined in one rack space. I was thinking about getting one but have never tried it. Anyone use a clx-52 or 51 compressor by ashly?

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, it looks good and has the same compressor that billy sheehan uses built in so I just ordered one. I let you guys know what I think when it arrives.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Please do, I'm interested. I have a couple of the Ashly parametrics, and one of the old bass preamps, and am very happy with all of 'em. :cool:

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, it arrived last night. The parametric section is really great. It takes some twiddling but you can get many different sounds. The compressor is the best that I've ever used. Can go from billy sheehan squash to ebs sound easily. Here's the only problem Im having. When I run the eq in front of the compressor, everything works fine but. But, I prefer a compressor in front of my eq. The sound is punchier. When I do this, the compressor gives off a "spitting or popping or distorted sound. May be this compressor likes a loud input to drive it? That would explain why it works better with the eq and gain first. Let my know guys. Otherwise, this thing would make a great stand alone preamp into a poweramp.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

First off it's the DPX-200, right? :cool:

Are you using the mike input or the line one? Active or passive bass? What happens if you just use the compression section, do the same problems occur?

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I use a Yamaha Billy sheehan attitude bass into the 1/4" jack. If I plug directly into the compressor, I get a weird distorted buzz as I let a note ring out. I don't seem to get the problem (at least not as bad) when I run the eq in front of it. With this unit you can use either/or. Or chained internally together. I just don't know. I am very experienced with all types of gear but can't seem to solve the problem. I will try boosting my signal with an overdrive later and see what happens.