Anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ASR, Jun 8, 2001.

1. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was thinking of putting the lowest 4 strings from a 5 stringer on an old 4 string that I have as a backup bass, and of course getting a custom bridge to hold the strings. I can't afford a 5 string bass, and we only have a few songs where I would use it, so I don't want to put out the money for one right now. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this, if it sounded good or not, and any tips that might be suggested.

2. Yea, I actually strung an old precision I had like that once except I used Flat-Wounds and I tuned it to a low A.

Talk about a THUD sound!

You may have to make some adjustments but it should work fine.
    There's only one way to find out.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Close. :) Shecter makes the Scorpion bass, which is tuned BEAD.

You may have to do some nutwork. I've never actually done what you propose, but I would assume that the slots in the nuts would be too small for the heavier string gauges than normal that you're putting into it. (?) You may have to file them down a little bit, VERY carefully. I could be wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.

P.S. I just realized this is Post 500! ~sniff sniff~ Thank you, thank you... I love you guys...
  4. I'm also interested in stringing my older Warwick BEAD. So far nothing I've found nothing helpful.
    Doesn't look like anyone has played this set-up, so there's mostly conjecture.... Still waiting...
  5. Just do it!

How long could it take to change four strings?

If it doesn't work then change them back!

6. The larger question can only be answered by someone who has that set-up.
    Truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments, saddle width, nut filing, maybe neck warping from the extra strain that it might not have been designed for (or maybe it's ok). Pick-up height...

Before getting involved into this project, I'd like to get some input from someone with some experience with it.

Is that so wrong? Geeeshh.
  7. I actually did it and said that in an earlier post.
    In my case I didn't have to change anything.
    You may have to adjust your truss rod and your action.
    It's going to differ with every bass, string gauge, etc.
    I don't think there's any way to know except to try.

I didn't have to do anything to the nut either.

Good Luck,
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Where do you think this "extra strain" is going to come from? There is more strain when the bass is tuned EADG.