1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone ever try a ukulele ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by todd_freeride, Nov 20, 2006.

1. todd_freeride

todd_freeride

May 8, 2006
    well, I was bored today, and I was just browsing musicians friend and I came across ukulele's. I have become kind of interisted in them. anyone here ever try one ? I was doing some research on them, and found this totally awesome vid. --> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8395698617458049023&q=ukulele

Now I really want to play one :D but does anyone here have an idea of what type of ukulele this is ? baritone, tenor, standard, hawiian ?

thanks and enjoy the vid :p

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah I tried one once. It was overcooked and they used a weird combination of spices. It basically tasted like a piece of wood.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I think its a baratone uke, i own a standard ukelele and its a fun small instrument to just travel around with, take to the park or whatever.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    there's quite a few uke players on TB, myself included as a baritone player.

5. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    That's a tenor. They're all tuned the same except for baritones. (G-C-E-A or top four strings @ the fifth fret of a guitar) The only difference is size between soprano/concert/tenor models and inherently tone quality and playability.

Baritones are commonly tuned like the top four of a guitar. (D-G-B-E)

Occasionally, players will tune the top (as in physically closest to the top while holding it) an octave higher to get a brighter tone and enable 5 string banjo like leads. It also lends itself to making close interval chording which can sound very nice. (major second between the G string and A string)

The best, cheap, ukuleles I have played are the Fluke brand. They looks really goofy but sounds/plays good despite being made primarily of plastic. They're durable and will get you that ukulele sound.

FWIW-I'd just buy a travel guitar to mess around with unless you're really into that ukulele sound. They are usually better constructed for a lower price point (i.e. Baby Taylor).

6. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
  7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I tried and the neck was like a tooth pick in my hands. :p

8. CrazyAlexZX3

CrazyAlexZX3

Feb 1, 2005
    Yeah i've been playin uke for about a year and a half. Once you get used to the tiny neck its a lot of fun. Portable, not too hard, and a great conversation starter. I'd highly recommend getting one to jam around with.

One thing i really love about it is its the perfect size and volume to play in the band van.

9. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I have a drummer friend who loves Ukeleles! He has collected several types and is always trying out new and different strings. What does he play on his Uke? Believe it or not, mostly Hard Rock songs!

George

10. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    I've just ordered one, and it should arrive in the next few days.
    I can't even think of playing it without smiling. Got to be a good sign, eh?

The contrast is what fascinates me. From 34" scale to an instrument that measures about 14" overall.
    That, and playing music that goes against the perceived Ukulele songbook. ZZ Top, 1812 Overture, Bohemian Rhapsody etc.

But also really cute songs, standards by the likes of Hoagy Carmichael etc.

Via the net I've even discovered a group in my own town!
    Once I've a few chords down I'll be there, strumming away and grinning like crazy.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Are you hip to Jawaiian music? That's by far the coolest implementation of uke that I've heard so far.

A teacher friend of mine runs a uke orchestra in the local school system. I haven't checked 'em out yet, but I hear they're pretty good.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    yep, try a baritone uke. Lot's o' fun

13. I played the ukulele in grade four.
    Made me love 4 strings.

14. todegard

todegard Bassist

Sep 24, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
  15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm another uke player. They're fun little guys!