Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever try an all maple Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chipmolter, Aug 28, 2001.

1. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello, all.

If anyone can help me through my current dillema, I'd be much obliged.

I've been playing for 13 years off and on, and am just getting around to buying my first REAL bass. I've been thinking about a Carvin LB75, but I have no idea what it sounds like. Right now, I'm convinced that the Spector Neckthru has the most beautiful sound out there. Does anyone know if a Carvin with a solid maple neck and body would come close to the Spector sound? It does mean a savings of about $600, which would go a mighty long way towards a new amp.....but that Spector is SOOOO nice. If the Carvin doesn't even come close, it's not worth it to me.

Thanks!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

chip - This is so odd because you're the third person I know of who is caught between a Spector and an LB75, besides myself (last fall)

I don't have an all maple LB75, but I got a quilted maple/alder body, maple neck with koa stringers LB75 last December. An all maple job would be so bright I'd have to use sunblock, (awfully "cold" sounding, too, especially if you got the J99 pickup).

There is a difference between the Spector and the Carvin. It isn't so much the wood, it's the pickups, IMO. With the right replacement pickup(s), you could get near a Spector, if not surpass it.

Sounds like you're already pretty much sold on the Spector though. My advice is to go with what you know you like already instead of gambling that the Carvin will float your boat.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    You already mentioned you love the Spector sound. Trying to make the Carvin *be* the Spector is a losing proposition, just get the real thing.

Even though you could get more custom options with the Carvin, you'll still never sound like the Spector. You'd basically have to replace the tone circuit and pickups for starters, which closes the gap on any cash savings the Carvin would offer.

I like my Carvin for some stuff, but pound for pound, the stock Spector sounds better to me.

Where's Nino? :p

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Get the Spector.
    That way, you will never have the feel inside that tells you.. "Man, this bass sounds good, and I like it, but it just Isnt a Spector"

I always wanted a Stingray, coulnt afford it, and I bought an Ibanez ATK300.
    The Ibanez was an awesome bass, the tone was close to the Ernie Ball, but it just wasnt a Stingray.
    So I had that feel all the time.

Trust me. You gotta have what you like.