1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever try one of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dragon2knight, Feb 17, 2016.

1. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    This is one I've looked at a few times to help out with my learning, and the reviews(at least on the guitar version) seem to say it works...just curious if anyone on here has given the Fretlight a try out.
    Fretlight FB-525 Bass Learning System

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :) Looks cool. I might actually want one :).

dragon2knight likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

They've had them for a few years now so I would think somebody here has to have used one. Orianthi used to plug them after her "This is it" gig so they got decent exposure. They do seem like a good idea but I do not think any high level educator would recommend them. Teaching shapes is not the best way to learn music, it is much more beneficial to learn actual notes and scales. I have always been curious to try one, mostly to see how well they're made, but I do not think I would ever consider buying one.

dragon2knight likes this.
  4. I wonder if an owner might develop a tendency to look down at the bass while performing.

5. Yeah, it seems to me like you would spend all your time staring at the fretboard.

6. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    Well I suppose that after you learn the part that required looking at the fretboard, it would not be necessary to do that anymore. The whole point of this is to help you learn said part easier than the traditional method. I do tend to agree with DiabloluslnMusic, though, that it would be better to learn scales, then this way. Didn't even really notice that till he said it.