Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever tuned a piano?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by merlin, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Has anyone tuned a piano? If so... how?

I have a Beale Upright and i dont really want to spend the $120 to have it tweaked.

:D:D

Merls

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    No...but I can tuna fish.

Sorry...but somebody hadda do it. :D

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Boo! :p Isn't tuning a piano somewhat dangerous because of all the tension on some of the strings?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, I just noticed that that's three CTers in a row! Where's Gallient Knight when you need him? :)

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Actually it's much more dangerous to tune a fish, especially sharks...they are extremely resistant to the procedure.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    did you just use the wrong "are?"

**shakes head in shame**

(florida in da hiz-ouse?)

7. What about websites? Diagrams?

Merls

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

There ya go, hope that helps.

:D

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    NICE! it's my new desktop :D

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    LOL:D :D :D

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on this site!!!

11. <marquee> I D I O T S </marquee>

:p

Merls

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    'Takes a bow'

And I've got a Bachelor's Degree in fine art, too :D

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    "I do not think that means what you think it means..." :D

P@

14. HAHAHA, that's hilarious.

15. It shows through. Such a picture is very reminiscent of the Moronaissance Period... :p

Merls

16. :eek: did you draw that?! how the heck did you find an exact replica of my piano?:confused: :D :p

17. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA

Yes! Many people have tuned pianos. Mostly piano tuners, but probably some amateurs as well.

-Sinkers-

I'm nothing, it not helpful

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Our very own Herm is a piano tuner, Merlies. Send him an email or PM. But a real piano tuner would be preferable. There is an art to tuning a piano properly. If you tune all of the strings with a tuner, chords at the low end and high end will sound out of tune.

19. That is correct. One of my two professions is piano tuner (the other being cabinet/furniture maker). Been doin it for close to 20 years now. A piano tuner is trained to not only listen to the primary pitch of a string, but the partial vibrations of the string as well. I listen to 1/2, 1/3, an 1/4 string vibrations. I tune exclusively by ear, by listening to the "beats", that are caused by the relation of one string tuned to another. They need to be "tempered". Tempering begins in the middle register of the instrument. The low and high registers need to be "streched" slightly. It's very hard to explain, without actually showing. Even then, it takes years to get good enough to do it right.

If your tuner is charging you $120, I would say that's a little steep. I usually charge $80. That is to say that if the piano is close to A 440 (the A below middle C). If it hasn't been tuned in a real long time, chances are it will need a pitch raise, which is an additional visit and charge. After raising the pitch the instrument need to sit for a few days, to allow the extra tension you've put on it to settle. You would be amazed at the amount of tension that creates on it. If you tune it immediately after, it will not hold a tune anyway.

I've seen people try it by themselves with results that are better than they started with, but more than likely, you'll do more damage than good. Breaking string in a piano is not hard to do, especially if it's real old. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned. You'll pay quite a bit of money for the proper tools anyway.

I suggest shopping around for a less expensive tuner, perhaps one that may still be in training.

And no, I can't tuna fish
    :D

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    isn't that basically the same principle behind the buzz feiten tuning system?