Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever use a fat cat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 19, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    anyone at all? i hear they are very good on bass. from teh reviews ive read at harmony central they hold low end quite well. what do you all think? and apparently its like a bassier rat. ? any feed back is great.,

2. fat cat?
    could you please show a pic about the pedal your inquiering about?

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I happen to know fer positive that the bassist in the band Honky (who used to be the bassist for the Bu++hole Surfers, I can't renmember his name...Pinkus or something?) uses the Fat Cat and only the Fat Cat as the main key to his sound. I read it in BP a year or 2 ago. The Fat Cat was Ibanez's 10series cloned version of the Rat. Get it? Get it? The fat cat ate the rat. Those humorous jokesters at Ibanez! I seem to see a Fat Cat sitting in half of all used pedal store displays I come accross and they usually go from 30.oo to 60.ooUSD depending on the condition. I'm not the biggest fan of the Rat so, I never tried one.

4. I bought one because Andrew Weiss of Gone, Ween and the Rollins' band uses one. He gets a bombastic snarl with his on that Chrysalis records, one-off recording "Wartime" with Henry. They rip up a psychedelic hip hop version of the Dead's "Franklin's tower."
    Anyway...Ibanez's take (copy?) of Proco's RAT. Fat Cat=RAT. Get it?
    info;
    http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/ibanez_fat_cat_fc10.htm

[​IMG]

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Andrew Weiss is THE man! I swear I was just listening to "Wartime" the other day thinking to myself "I wonder why nobody's ever heard of this and why it never went anywhere?" Weiss plays ALL the music on that album. I bought that album the day it came out and was completely blown away. That was also some of Rollins' best lyrics ("There's a guy in the mirror that's always in my face"" and other classic lines:))The first time I ever actually noticed bass soloing (that was a long time before I picked up the bass). Some awsome bass wah on that album. I even remember seeing the video for The Truth where there's some great footage of said bass soloing. When I first picked up the bass I wanted to sound "just like that dude in Wartime". I did not know he used a Fat Cat. MadSubwoofer, you have now given me gas for a godam Fat Cat, you evil bastid:D ! (I know, I'm easily influenced) Do you know if he actually used one on Wartime?

Sidenote: The sample at the beginning of Franklin's Tower that sounds like "Hail Lucifer, I love Satan" is in fact Parliament's "Flashlight" being played backwards. "Everybody's got a little light under the sun" is "Hail Lucifer, I love Satan", backwards. I wonder if G.Clinton did that on purpose;) ?

6. Oh man . You are SO right. That is exactly what it is. Wow. Cool that you know the album?! Nobody around here seems to know what I am talking about when I bring it up. That recording was a BIG influence on my playing and use of FX. A video for it too?? Is that what you are saying? Whoah.
    You wanna hear some similar stellar Weiss material be sure to check out "Gone II" with Gregg Ginn and Sim Cain. You can hear samples here; http://www.jandr.com/JRMusicAlbumPa...ption=GONE&Title=GONE+II+-+BUT+NEVER+TOO+GONE
    Defintely a Fat Cat on that album. After a bombastic Ween gig I asked the roadie what the box was and he brought it over for a look-see; nice of him I thought. He said that Andrew had always used it. More of Weiss and his Fat Cat; http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurlPNM.exe?/isdnlink/~ff-600015/0061881_0101_00_0007.ra

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Hey, thanks for the links! I still have the copy of the CD that I bought when it came out (damn, 13 years ago already, holy jeez) "Fast Food for Thought" and it has that lovely cover with a brain in a BigMac container. The weird thing is, I just dug that CD out of my "archives" (or crate of CDs in my closet:))a few days ago becuase I all of a sudden had that song "Mindfield" stuck in my head and I had to hear it. Needless to say, I ended up listening to the whole album twice. As for the video, I only saw it once and it was back when it came out on an obscure video show that used to run in LosAngeles (I unfortunately grew up there) called "Request Video" and I'm pretty sure Rollins was even co-hosting during that episode. That video is probably one of the hardest things to find, but I'm 100% positive that I saw it and it exists because I remember being amazed that a bass sounded like that and wondering how the hell he did it (I knew nothing about bass back then). I think the downfall of that album was the cheesy drum machine sounds. That album would be the ultimate to re-mix with some real drums, I think it would still sound original if it had better drums. Anyway, thanks again for the links and recomendations and fianlly solving the mystery of thast fat,raunchy growl. The only thing I'm wondering now is what kind of wah or envelope he used with that Fat Cat on Wartime. I think it was a wah? Maybe an original Bass Crybaby?

8. I really dug the cheesy drums? They were such a contrast from the gritty raw tracks layed down by Weiss that it worked for me. Don't know about the wah...
    Chrysalis actually signed the Rollin's band but for whatever reason Hank and Andy gave them this project instead. Don't think it was much of a hit...
    be sure to check out the first two Gone albums on SST. Ginn at his finest and some wigged out bass playing to be found.
    first album samples and info; http://www.jandr.com/JRMusicAlbumPa...E&Title=LET'S+GET+REAL+REAL+GONE+FOR+A+CHANGE

[​IMG]